Saturday, April 14, 2007

The reorg of my space **update**

There's a site I visit on a regular basis and she's selling her house. AND she took photos of her closets to show how spacious the place is. I think it's a great idea. Kitchens sell homes. Master baths sell homes. I think closets also are a big draw for folks too. There are a lot of folks who adore HUGE cathedral size closets. I am amazed that some folks will turn an extra bedroom into a closet. How much clothing do you need people?

But I guess folks need their clothes. Work clothes. Casual clothes. Work-out gear. In my stay-at-home Mom phase of life, I took my stock down to shorts, sweats, jeans and t-shirts. I still have my work clothes. The ones that fit. But what's hanging in my side of the closet takes MUCH less space than what my husband has got hanging. He's got six sections of hanging items. I've got three. THREE! Granted. He does work outside the home. So he's got his button-down shirts. He's got his wool trousers. But he's got TWICE as much stuff in our closet than I do!

What's funny is that I think that my side of the closet is a mess. I can't stand it. So this weekend I'm going to reorganize it. I'm going to put my old work slacks, skirts, shirts, and scarves into some plastic containers. Yes. All that stuff is still hanging up. Taking up space. My shelf at the top of my side of the closet is empty so those containers will fit nicely up top there. I'll also box up my sweaters and jackets since it's averaging 80 degrees out here already.

I don't know what I'm going to end up with. I'm guessing 1 1/2 sections of my closet will be free'd up. That'll mean the hubs will have 3 times as much stuff in the closet as me. How crazy is that? But my spring/summer attire is limited to shorts, loose skirts, capris, tank tops and t-shirts -- with flip-flops. So that stuff shouldn't take that much space, right?

So the spring cleaning of my closet will be done by the end of this weekend. That's my goal. Simple, right? Not so simple because I tend to get side-tracked one way or another. The kids. The Hubs. I'm easily distracted. What can I say? Anything to keep me out of the closet....

--------------------------------------------------------------

I did it folks! I totally got my side of the closet in shape.

I've got the plastic boxes up on the top shelf. All my work related clothing is in the boxes. I've put my sweaters and winter jackets in the boxes. Even some of my lesser used long-sleeve t-shirts are folded away. I did keep a hand-full of them out though because we're still in a transition period for weather.

I even was brave and actually THREW OUT some items. Yes. I have several nice GAP tshirts that got in the way of some bleach. Each of them has a couple tiny spots where the color is missing. But they're nice t-shirts so I kept them. But now? They're gone. I did throw out the few pair of shorts that DEFINITELY will never fit me ever again. They were those traditional high-waisted things, so it was good to get rid of them. Even if I wanted to change my mind?All those items are in the trash outside. They'll be picked up Monday morning. This is a BIG deal for me as I'm kind of like my Mom (but not as attached) about clothes. I tend to hang onto them for as long as possible.

All that's hanging now are those shirts, all my nice short-sleeve t-shirts, my sleeveless tanks & shirts, my skirts, my skorts, and my robes. It's pretty barren. But I like it!

No comments: