Friday, June 15, 2007

Trying something old

When I was in high school, I was part of the track team. I was actually on the 4x100 relay race team. I was the 5th of a 4 person team. A team that was NEVER, EVER sick or injured. I only ever ran in two meets. But it was all good. I got to go to all the meets. All the events. I was always prepared. This meant that all I ever did was practice. And to tell you the truth, it was the most fun I ever had.

The people on the track team were diverse. We had big guys who were previously on the football team doing shot put. We had the cross-country runners doing the distance runs. A wide variety of people. And they were ALL a blast. It was fun doing our warm-ups as a team. That was the only time we were able to spend together each afternoon practice. Because after warm-ups we'd all go to our own individual event coaches and work with them. So we'd all converge onto the football field and lay around and stretch a little and loosen up. We'd listen to the head coach. Then we'd do a mile run to get ready for our REAL work. A mile run. For WARM UP! We'd talk while we ran. It wasn't a slow jog either. We'd go at a pretty good clip.

Once track season was over (for junior & senior year), I continued to run on my own about every other day. It was routine. I'd just run.

RUN, Forest! RUN!

No. I wouldn't run endlessly. I'd only go about 3 to 5 miles each time depending on how I felt. But it felt so good. Just me. Feeling to my feet hit the pavement. Listening to my breath going in and out. Actually, it was more of an in-in-in-out cadence. I'd go three steps and breath in and do an exale on the 4th step. Weird? It was like a mantra of sorts. Kept me focused on the rhythm. The sound. So if I had a side-cramp, I'd just concentrate on my breath and the pain would subside.

I wouldn't really think during my runs. I'd just go. And think of my steps. And concentrate on my breathing. Empty thoughts? A place your mind never normally goes during the day. A moment of just being. Living. Quietly being.

I think I've been missing that feeling. So...on Monday I went and bought myself some actually running shoes. And YES...the shoes were on sale. I did try on a bunch of running shoes that were on sale. Remember, I'm a 6.5 WIDE (think of them as Duck feet)! But the only ones that were comfortable on my feet? It was the same brand I used to wear when I was in track many moons ago. Of course, it wasn't the same style shoes but just the fact that the only ones I felt good in were the same brand that I used to wear.

On Tuesday, I jogged about a mile. Non-stop! I went at a slow pace so I wouldn't have to stop.

On Wednesday, I took a walk on that same route. My legs were stiff from the day before, but I knew I had to do something to keep myself motivated. AND so that I could work through the stiffness. AND keep my legs from getting even more tight.

On Thursday, I jogged the mile route. A little bit faster. Probably a smidgen faster. And probably only fast enough that I would notice! I stopped a little short but that was okay.

Today? I walked a different mile route. And this evening? I did a light upper body work-out. Not EVERYTHING that I would have done 10 years ago. Really light stuff. Bicep curls. Tricep extensions. Some squats. Sit-ups. Leg raises.

Tomorrow? I'm hoping to take a quick run before I have breakfast. Hopefully, the Hubs will hold down the fort while I sneak off and do that. Take those 20 minutes for myself.

And you know what's inspired me? That show The Biggest Loser. Those people are dropping weight and making HUGE changes in their bodies and in their lives. It inspires me to see them consciously make that decision. It's a tremendous struggle for some. Realizing that with all that exercise comes a lot of pain. That weight loss takes time. Commitment. That's a word I need to get re-acquainted with. I'm hoping that I can commit myself this time around. I dropped the ball earlier in the year with Summer's challenge. I only stuck that out for 2 weeks. But I'm hoping [crossing fingers] that I'll keep myself on the path. And tonight's repeat episode from the latest season had the BEST line.

If you're going to start something, you should finish it

My goal is to lose about 15 pounds. Not through starvation. I love food WAY too much for that. But by adding exercise into my daily routine, which I have NOT done in years and years. Hopefully, adding those 20-30 minutes of aerobic exercise into my daily routine will get me on my way. Improve my cardiovascular health. Get my blood flowing. Raise my metabolism. And the stretching afterwards will help me get my flexibility back. I've started on my way...I'm hoping I have the strength to finish it.

Wish me luck folks....

No comments: