Friday, November 23, 2007

A couple bumpy moments

Overall it was a nice Thanksgiving. There were a couple bumpy moments. That's to be expected, right?

Issue#1

Yesterday morning, my MIL called the Hubs. The Hubs, my FIL, and the Bear were going to the college game that night. The Hubs wanted to leave his parents' house around 4:15pm because the Nationally televised game started at 6pm. After the call, the Hubs came over to me.
Hubs: After we eat, we'll drive to the hotel. My Dad will follow us there. Then I'm going to drive me, my Dad, and the Bear to the game.
What is my husband talking about? What? That would leave the Prin and I at the hotel with NO vehicle.
Me: No. That is NOT going to happen. The Prin and I are going to do something when you are at the game.
An hour or so later, the Hubs came up to me and said we were back to the original plan. Huh? I didn't think the plan ever changed. So this time, the Hubs actually backed me up. I think he realized (read that as remembered) that I told him that I was going to take the Prin to the movies.

So it went as such. After we finished our Thanksgiving meal, my FIL drove the 3 boys to the game. The Prin and I drove to the hotel and checked in. Then we headed out to the movies. Girls' night!

Issue #2

As we entered the freeway, I noticed one of those large flashing roadsigns.

ACCIDENT 14 miles ahead
[flash-flash-flash]

So the Hubs diverted OFF to the last main East-West road after we'd only gone about 4 miles up the freeway. We took the scenic route. We took a 2 lane road all the way up. So it was one lane going North. So when we got stuck behind a slow vehicle, we had to bid our time for a "safe" moment to pass. We drove past two of our lovely state penitentiaries. I could tell that it was because of all the barbed wire at the top of the fences. That was CLOSEST I've ever been to a penitentiary. It was amazingly quiet when we drove by. Not a soul in sight. Anyway, did I say that we took the scenic route? Yeah. When we got into the city, the Hubs realized we were about 20 miles EAST of where we should be. It turned out to be a 2+ hour adventure versus the normal 1 1/4 hour drive. But thankfully the kids didn't complain. They were okay with their water bottles, their snacks, and their DVD (Narnia).

Issue #3

We got to my MIL's house around 1:30pm. The Hubs' cousin and his family got there around 1:45pm. My SIL? Didn't show up until 3pm. So we didn't eat until after that. We were supposed to eat at 2pm. That ticked me off because the kids hadn't eaten an actual lunch and they were starving. But we ate and that was that. Nothing fancy. Just a meal. And I'm grateful for that. At least there was enough food for us to each have more than one serving!

Issue #4

We found out that the Hubs' cousin QUIT his job on Tuesday. Yeah, just a few days ago. And when my MIL found out, she asked him question after question.
What are you going to do?
Have you got another job?
Have you signed up with an agency yet to help you find a job?
If he had quit with a job already set, then he would have mentioned it. He quit his job unexpectedly due to a situation that came to a head on Tuesday. So it's not like he had things planned out. My MIL kept on hammering him with questions. She just didn't get it. I mean, why wasn't she hammering her daughter with questions about her job search? My SIL has been looking for a new job (without her current employer finding out) for at least 6 months now and has only had about 3 interviews. I don't think she's SERIOUSLY looking. The way she's been explaining the situation to me, it's like she's relying on a head-hunter firm to FIND her a job. She's not doing anything on her own to seek out employers.

Issue #5

Around 9:30pm, the Hubs called me. I thought he was downstairs and needed our room number.
Me: We're in room 223.
Hubs: Hey. Come pick us up.
Me: What are you talking about?
Hubs: Come pick us up now.
Me: Uh. Why doesn't your Dad drive you to the hotel? Your daughter and I are showered and in our pajamas already. We're in bed watching a movie.
Hubs: What? You're in bed?
Me: Yes. We're already in bed.
[garble-garble-garble]
Hubs: Okay. My Dad is going to drive us to the hotel.
Me: Okay. Good.
Hubs: I'll call you in a bit when we get there.
I'm thinking that they were CRAZY to think that the Prin and I would drive UP to that mess of traffic after a football game. And the hotel is on the way back to my ILs house. It's not like it's taking my FIL out of his way. GEEZ!

But even with all of these moments, the day was (in the big picture) a good one. I kept an even keel and only really got angry with that first issue. I still can't believe I only "lost" it once. And I didn't vent at the Hubs. I just kept the simmer below the surface and he came back and backed me up. Whew!

So what kind of family DRAMA did you deal with yesterday?

No comments: