Saturday, October 30, 2004

Fearless

Have I mentioned what a fearless kid I've got?

No, not my Princess. The Bear!

He is amazing. On Friday, I took him to the park. This particular park had one of those big climbing things with 5 different slides on it. It was our first time there, so I was pretty cautious about him climbing up and going down the slides.

My boy? He threw caution to the wind. He went down ALL the slides. The small 2 foot long barely sloping one (there were two of these). The medium sized 45 degree tube. The tall corkscrew one. The extremly tall and slightly curvy tube. Yes, he enjoyed them all.

My concern? His lackadaisical (yeah I know it's spelled wrong) effort about getting into a good sliding position. I helped him get his feet around and he'd grunt "UUhh" at me in frustration. Hey kid! I'm just making sure you don't tumble head over heels down the slides!

What added to my stress level was that there was some Mommy group at the park and their kids were running all over this play area. The kids that happened to be jumping/running/yelling throughout this section were from 3 to 5 years of age. MUCH bigger than my Bear.

What did my Bear do? He held his own. He didn't care if they were bigger. He tried to run WITH them! He tried to get on the slide when they were getting on them. He didn't care if it took him a minute to maneuver himself onto the slide -- which caused the older kids to wait. He had a blast just being around them.

My hubby: "At least he wasn't self conscious about being the smallest one there."

No, my Bear wasn't self conscious. He could keep up with them. It's just that he wasn't used to getting on the slides. He ran up the ramps and went up the stairs with no problems -- he went up as fast as those bigger kids!

It's amazing to me how physically advanced he is. Seeing him with those kids reminds me that he's growing up. And growing up fast.

No comments: