...and I actually MADE dinner!
When my family comes in town, we normally go out to eat for dinner. Yesterday I decided to be brave and COOK dinner.
What did I make? Mahogany beef stew. It's an idea that I got from this wonderful site. I made a HUGE batch. I actually bought a 4-pound slab of beef chuck. That darn "stew" beef at the store cost TWICE as much as the uncut version. So I cubed the beef myself. AHH!!!
This stew is a good choice for our group because I wasn't sure about what veggies my sister's kids would like. Instead of the veggies in the stew? I made a big salad. I also chose to make some cornbread (in cupcake form) along with egg noodles instead of rice.
It took about 2 hours total to make dinner. I did deviate from the recipe a little bit, but it was still tasty.
- Olive oil
- 3 1/2 pounds beef chuck (cubed)
- 1 large yellow onion (chopped fine)
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz) diced tomatoes (mine had oregano, garlic & basil)
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/2 tsp chopped garlic (there was garlic in the tomatoes but we love garlic so I added more)
- Large heave pot - high flame
- Pour in olive oil & heat up
- ADD salt & pepper to meat
- Brown meat on all sides
- Push browned meat to edges of pot.
- REDUCE heat to medium flame.
- ADD more olive oil if necessary (I didn't add any as there was enough fluid from the meat).
- ADD chopped onions to the center of the pot until golden brown - 10 to 15 minutes.
- ADD tomatoes & seasonings. Mix well.
- ADD hoisin sauce. Mix well.
- Bring to boil.
- REDUCE heat to simmer & cover. Cook 30-45 minutes and stir occasionally.
- ADD additional veggies. I opted for sliced carrots & some green pepper.
- ADD water if you think the sauce is getting too thick.
- COVER and simmer for an additional 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
In the end? We demolished the meal. Not a sliver of salad left. There were only about 3 tiny pieces of beef left. A couple of cornbread cupcakes were placed in the fridge. The extra noodles were placed in the freezer.
For this non-cook? It was great to see that everyone had enough to eat. AND they actually ate.