Thursday, December 18, 2008

Don't let the door smack ya on the way out

I found out last night that the Hubs sister lost her job.

Technically, she wasn't fired. A couple weeks ago, her supervisor approached her and asked if she'd be interested in being RIF'd*. That she'd get X number of weeks pay. That she'd continue to be covered by insurance for 3 months. My SIL let her supervisor know that she'd think about it.

This past year, my SIL has been casually looking for a new job. She was looking here and there. Not really spending too much time on it. And she found nothing. But when this opportunity to be part of the RIF at her work came up? It peaked her interest. She figured she'd be able to find a job pretty quick once she REALLY started looking. Then she'd be getting paid from her new job and getting her RIF pay. Delusional much?

I guess she gave her boss the answer recently. Because yesterday she was let go from her job. The week before Christmas! But she told them that she wanted to be a part of it. And so she is.

I'm not sure that I'd volunteer to be a part of that in this economy. Plus, she's got the condo that she rents out and the house that she bought late last year. So she's responsible for two mortgages. And she's got no job! Wouldn't that freak you out? It would make me nervous that's for sure.

According to the Hubs, my SIL sent out an email about what happened. Of course, I didn't get the email. His family actually thinks that the Hubs informs me about everything they tell him. Uh...NO. That definitely doesn't happen. I'll find things out by asking him stuff. I mean, he'll end up telling me stuff that he found out a week prior. Whatever.

* RIF = Reduction in Workforce

No comments: