Monday, November 22, 2004

Browsing through the Big K...

The Bear and I headed to Kmart to browse around while the Princess was in school today.

Right at the front of the store they had ALL the Christmas decorations. Big trees. Little trees. Wreaths. Lights. Ornaments. Garland. Snowmen. Santas. Wrapping Paper. The WHOLE works. I ended up picking up a 3 foot lighted tree for $26 and plopping that into our cart.

We continued to walk around the place. I suddenly remembered that tomorrow would mark the deadline for contributing to the package the Princess' class was sending to the Persian Gulf. Her teacher, Miss B, has a son that is stationed out there. He came home recently because he was injured. He didn't stay long. He had to go back.

The moms in the Princess' class got together and decided to get a "thank you" box pulled together for the holidays. It wasn't really gifts per se. It was stuff that the guys would all appreciate. Basics really.

As the Bear and I walked through Kmart, I decided to pick up a few items. A couple packages of pens. A six pack of legal paper. A couple boxes of envelopes. (They need always supplies to write home) A package of white socks. A package of black socks. (You know how quickly socks get worn out) A pack of disposable razors. A couple travel size tubes of toothpaste. A couple travel size bottles of shaving cream. I even got a couple bottles of lotion. (They always need personal hygiene products) A package of hard candy. (This helps them clear the taste of sand out of their mouths) And finally, a couple bottles of baby powder (those of you who go to the beach know it's easy to get the sand off your body if you put powder on it).

You know what happened at the end? I put the tree back on the shelf. I had selected so much for the box that I didn't have enough cash with me to also get the tree. I figure that I can go back any ole time to pick up that little tree. I needed to get those supplies into the box. I didn't want to let that box get sent without our contribution. I appreciate those guys too much. They deserve a few essentials. I don't NEED that tree.

What're you doing this season to let folks know you appreciate them?

No comments: