Saturday, November 6, 2004

A moment of fear

Walking back down the stairs to the kiddy play area. Hmmm...Those bathrooms didn't look that bad.

Look left. I'm sure the boy will enjoy this place.

Look right. Where is that kid?

Walk further. Hmmm...he was just here.

Look left. Okay, he's not at the swings.

Look right. Okay, he's not at the slide where I left him.

Heart begins to beat more strongly. Breathing gets a little shallow. What the fuck?

I say his name loudly. Then listen. Where is he? Where is he? I don't see him!

Run to the other side of the building. My eyes scan the baseball field as I run. He's got to be right here. He's got to be!

Stop. Scream his name. Slowly scan from right to left. Keep the eyes looking far then near. Far then near. He can't have gone far. He's quick but not that quick. Or is he?

Run back to the other side. Look towards the bigger kids play area. Okay, he's gotta be right in this area. It's the only place I haven't looked.

My eyes scan the area. He's not there! Oh my God! He's not there! My baby! My baby! I've lost my baby!

I turn around. I look at the picnic & bathroom area. Where else do I look? My baby! Did someone take my baby? But no one is at the park!

My eye notices movement on the left of the building. My head jerks to that point. Oh my God! Oh my God!

I run. I run so fast. Oh my God!

I crouch down. I scoop him in my arms. My baby! My baby!

My legs are weak. My arms feel numb. My eyes begin to fill with tears. I feel like I'm about to collapse. Oh my baby! My baby boy!

He's all smiles. He doesn't realize what just happened. He only knows that Mommy is hugging him like she does every day. He doesn't realize that there are tears in my eyes. He doesn't realize that my heart feels like it's about to burst out of my chest.

I release him from the hug. He looks at me and smiles. I can't help but smile back at him. My sweet boy.

He takes my hand. He pulls me to the swings. I put him in the swing and push him. I keep on pushing him knowing at that moment he's safe. Thank you God for keeping my baby safe.

No comments: