Saturday, November 13, 2004

This townhouse


So you all know that we're living in a townhouse until our house is finished being built. We feel very fortunate to have found this townhouse, but I still feel pangs of angst that we're not in a house.

Here's the floorplan of the townhouse. You can see it's a 3 bedroom 2 bath unit.


Things I like:

  1. Large greatroom concept -- the living, dining, and kitchen are one huge space
  2. The place is 1200 square feet with vaulted ceilings & lots of light -- 2 skylights in the greatroom & one skylight in each bathroom
  3. Each kid has a bedroom all to themself -- both can be noisy sleepers so it's best they stay separate
  4. The master bedroom is on the other side of the unit (but close enough to hear the kids at night)
  5. There's a washer & drier in the unit -- no laundromat visits
  6. There are tons of kitchen cabinets (compared to other rental units I've seen)
  7. No shared walls with anyone -- each unit is a stand alone building
  8. Small enclosed backyard

Things I don't like:

  1. We have less than half the square footage than our house
  2. No garage -- one carport spot
  3. Small closets -- the kids have all their clothes but I've only got some of mine (the rest is in storage)
  4. Only one sink in master bath with carpet underfoot & no door separating it from the master bedroom
  5. We have our large formal dining table & chairs in the dining space taking up room (my MIL wouldn't let us keep it at her house & there was no more space in our storage unit)
  6. There's carpet in the dining area so we have to eat at the kitchen bar area
  7. The kiddos and I only have one room to play in
  8. There's ONE tv with basic cable
  9. No grass in the backyard -- its all rock
  10. We've got only a few pots/pans and none of our real dishes & appliances (except the toaster & coffee maker)
  11. The fridge is SO small
  12. We don't have room for real dressers -- we're using our nightstands to hold underthings & the shelves in the closet for tshirts/sweaters
  13. There's no space to get away

I'm in a bitchy mood because I'm sick. I'm very anxious to get into a house. I want my privacy. I want my space. I need room to spread out. I want all my stuff out of storage. I want everything in its own place. You see, I'm the one who has to constantly deal with the small living space. I'm the stay-at-home Mom! My hubs gets to leave every workday. He gets to go off into the world and talk to PEOPLE! I get to stay with the kiddos and try to figure out what they want. He may be tired when he gets home from work...but I am emotionally and physically and mentally exhausted after dealing with the kiddos all day long. When do I get a break?

Truthfully, I'm ever so thankful that my husband was able to get the job of his dreams. The job he's wanted since he graduated college. But that meant that we'd have to move from one temporary unit to another. This meant extending our temporary living situation from one month to twelve months. This meant we'd have to move to another city that none of us had ever even visited! This meant leaving all our friends. This meant starting from scratch.

And we all know that it isn't our husbands who end up dealing with building from scratch. It's the Moms who find the playgroups. It's the Moms who find the good parks. It's the Moms who find out where the libraries are and when they've got storytime. It's the Moms who find out what places have developmental classes. It's the Moms who find the organizations that do sports, cheerleading, gymnastics, and dance. I'm TIRED of doing this stuff...or am I just tired? I'm talking generally speaking here so you Dads who do all this stuff!

My left shoulder aches like a bitch. My right ear feels like it's pushing out. My head feels all...fuzzy. There's laundry still to throw in and some to fold. There's a snacktime coming up that I've got to put out. Oy! The weekend doesn't mean rest...it means more work.

Okay, okay, okay...enough with my ranting. I'm sorry to be complaining. I'll hopefully feel better later or tomorrow. I'll try to put something up more positive! Think positive! Think positive! Think positive! Did I convince you? I'm just trying to convince myself. Need Tylenol now!

No comments: