Friday, December 3, 2004

Gifts for adults

What is your tradition when it comes to gifts for the adults in your family?

Do you get a gift for every sister, brother, parent, and married in spouse? Do you get couple gift for each married couple? Do you do a grab bag gift exchange where you buy gifts for one adult relative (and one adult relative buys for you)?

Now that I'm married with children, I tell my family to focus their efforts on the kiddos. I end up with one gift from my folks (& my younger sister who actually does the shopping) and a couple gift from my older sister & BIL. I buy a couple gift for my folks, a couple gift for my older sister & BIL, and an individual gift for my younger sister (her birthday is 3 days after Xmas so I make it one GOOD gift).

As for my hubby's side? At Thanksgiving we pick names out of a hat. We each buy gifts for one person. This year, I buy for my FIL & my BIL buys for me. My hubby buys for my BILs girfriend & his Mom buys for him. We email our "wish" list to our designated buyer.

I tend to put practical things on my list. I ask for basic clothing items - jeans, sweaters, & tshirts. I also for appliances I really want. One year I put a fancy toaster & blender that I'd never buy for myself. This year I put a Shark Lightweight Bagless Upright Vacuum on my list. Why? Because in the new house I'll have a ton of tile to keep clean. I don't want to have to sweep constantly. A quick swipe around the kitchen & nook with this handy item should do the trick. Some might think the stuff I ask for is boring. But I USE every single one of those practical items.

So what's on YOUR holiday list this year? Do you like to get practical items? or do you like to get one extravagent gift?

No comments: