Thursday, December 2, 2004

No WHAT?

Me: [Lying in bed stretching] Good morning, hon.

Hubs: [Stopping in his tracks & looking at me] Umm...

Me: What?

Hubs: There's no water.

Me: [Bolting upright in bed] No water?!

Hubs: Nope. The pipes must have froze up.

We're at a far corner of our complex so we get exposed to the wind & cold moreso than the units on the interior.

Me: Did you call maintenance? Having no water is considered an emergency.

Hubs: No, I didn't. What's the number?

Me: [Remember I'm still in bed?] I don't have it memorized. It's programmed in my cell.

Hubs: [Brushing his hair]

I get up. Brush my hair. Straighten the bed. Go into the kitchen to start my coffee (we use bottled water).

He continues getting ready for work. He LEAVES.

That's right folks. He left for work without calling the maintenance department.

I grab my cell 2 minutes after he leaves. Of course, it's only 7:10am but it's an emergency, right? I get the answering service. They get my address and phone number. Ten minutes later, the tech calls me. He's got another stop to make but he'll come right after that.

8:15am...knock on the door. Woohoo! He's HERE! He fires up one of those small gas lighters and warms up the pipe outside. We chat while he's working.

Me: So is there anything I can do to prevent this in the future?

Tech: Go ahead and drape a blanket on these exposed pipes. That should do the trick.

Me: Okay. So did anyone else call this morning about no water?

Tech: Yeah. I checked the empty unit [pointing to the unit diagonal to us] and it was frozen up too. Last year, I told the supervisor that we needed to get these pipes insulated. They were busy building two other complexes that they put it on the backburner.

Me: So you warned them last winter about the issue?

Tech: Yup! After the couple of calls we got this morning, the supervisor said he was going to call up the weekend crew to get the pipes insulated.

Me: So, you all have two additional subdivisions, which means there's even MORE units to have insulated than last year. Which means it's going to take more time and more personnel to do it?

Tech: Yeah. Go figure.

So about 8:30am, I was able to use the "facilities"...that's right folks...I held it until there was running water. The upside is that I did call early and the guy came out quickly. Just think what would have happened if I'd let my hubby take care of the problem? Please...remember the heating issue from a couple weeks ago?

No comments: