Monday, December 27, 2004

Snarky holiday moments

I had to put all these moments together. I didn't want them muddled with anything else. They tend to lose their impact when buried in other posts. Here are all the weird moments I had to witness and deal with over the weekend.

Did you have any odd family moments this weekend? Share them!

******************

On Friday when we drove up, I had my daughter dressed in a black turtleneck, black leggings, and a black long-sleeve holiday t-shirt with penguins on it. I had her hair all pulled up in a single ponytail so it wouldn't be all over the place. Later on that evening this is what I heard.

MIL: "She looks good in black."

Me: "Yes, she does. I think she looks good in a lot of different colors."

MIL: "I never thought children should be dressed in black.....but she looks good in it."

I think I dress her appropriately. Long sleeve and short sleeve t-shirts. Leggings (because she can't fit in regular pants because she's so slender). Sweatshirts. Turtlenecks. I don't put her in fancy things. Fancy things aren't appropriate for preschool. My girl is always in the sandbox and running around so dresses aren't practical there. I don't buy things with a bunch of bows and flowers on them. I like simple. I put her in a wide range of colors though. I've never dressed her in only pinks (which I know is exactly what my MIL did with my SIL). I've never and will never paint her room pink (which is another thing my MIL did with my SIL).

So keep the clothing comments to yourself lady! She's MY child. The stuff she's got in her closet and dresser can all mix and match easily because it's all simple stuff. My girl knows that no particular color is off limits. Right now? My girl is in a soft blue colored sweatshirt with pink & white snowflakes on it with a pair of burnt orange shorts. It might sound weird, but it matches. She picked it out. It's fine. She's discovering HER sense of style.

******************

Nope! The highchair was still in the backroom when we got there. An hour before my BIL was to arrive, I went & retrieved it & put it in the nook area.

MIL: "Oh, is the Bear going to have a snack?"

Me: "No...I'm putting it there so when we're ready to eat it's already in place."

You should have seen the confused look on her face. Stupid woman! The kid needs to sit in a highchair to eat. He needs to be contained. He can't be allowed to just take bites (like a dog) from people's plates and run around with food in his mouth. Umm...isn't that why you BOUGHT the darn highchair? So the child could eat?

******************

Now remember my previous post on how we had two towels between four individuals the last time we slept over my MILs house? Well, that was the case again. She had set out two towels on top the guest bath vanity on Friday night.

What's the craziest thing about this? Is that on Saturday night when we were about to get the kids ready for bed, she gave us back the two towels. She had taken the time to WASH those TWO towels. Yes, she washed the two towels and was giving them back to us so we could use them.

And...yes! I was so happy that I brought my own shampoo/conditioner/shower gel this time around. The same old barely any left containers of shampoo and conditioner were in the guest bath. Along with the same old hard as a rock piece of soap. Ugh! I went to town with my Dove shampoo/conditioner. "I'm gonna wash that @#%#% right out of my hair..." Then I scrubbed away with my Sweetpea shower gel on my sponge. Ahhh...the comforts of home!

******************

Friday night we were getting the kids ready for their bath.

Hubby: "Honey, are you going to put the Bear on the toilet for potty time?"

MIL: "Oh, do you need the little seat?"

Hubby: "Do you have one?"

MIL: "Yes, we got one when the Princess was first learning."

Hubby: "That would be great. Where is it?"

My MIL then proceeds to go through the door that leads to the garage. The garage! She was going to get the baby toilet seat from the garage. Umm...don't you have to clean it first before my child sits on it? My child is already naked and ready to be put into the bathtub.

Me: "Uh, that's okay MIL. No hurry. We can skip it tonight."

So I proceed to put the Bear into the tub and wash him. So I'm thinking that the seat will be available for the next day, right? She's got one. She knows we're trying to get the boy oriented to the toilet. Does she get it out of the garage and ready for the next night? Uh...NO!

******************

One of the things I can't stand about the holidays with my ILs is how they try to take "credit" for buying the kids gifts. When the kids were opening gifts, I was having my hubby do the holiday list. You know. What the gift was and who it was from?

I was supervising the Princess. When she'd open a gift, I'd hold it up for my hubby to see and then say what it was and then say the first few letters of person's name who it was from.

Now my SIL was supervising the Bear (her Godchild). She was saying "Oh, these are from BIL" or "Oh, I bought these." Umm... doesn't she realize that she'll ruin the Santa illusion with those kind of statements? I wanted to bitch slap her. She has one of those loud whiney voices (with a faint Chicago accent). I was shocked that the Princess' didn't hear her.

Come on people! Keep Santa alive! Don't try to take credit! If you want to be sure to get credit then write down what you bought the kids and hand it to us. This way you don't have to SHOUT across the room about who bought what.

******************

Most of the time, my son has really smelly poopy diapers. Hey, he's a good eater! What do you expect? When he has a toot-toot they can also be very stinky. On Saturday, as we're hanging around my MILs house my son has a toot-toot. He hasn't been changed in a couple hours.

Hubby: "Okay sister! Why don't you change him?"

SIL: "I'm not going to change him if he's got a poopy diaper."
Hubby: "Why not? You're his godmother. If you're ever going to babysit him, then you're going to have to be able to change a poopy diaper."

SIL: "He's almost TWO years old. Shouldn't he almost be potty trained?"

Can you say HOLD ME BACK? Yes. My son is almost two. And no. He's not potty trained. He's just getting started to get oriented to the toilet and what it's used for. Can you believe my SIL said this? She's not married. She's never even had a long-term relationship (meaning more than THREE months) in the 11 years that I've known her. She's never been pregnant (as far as I know). Therefore, she's never had a BABY! She has the nerve to say that about MY son? Her godchild? She's not willing to change a poopy diaper? SHEEE-IT! She's never going to babysit my child!

No comments: