Monday, January 24, 2005

Again? So soon?

About this time five years ago, I discovered that I was pregnant.

What's amazing about that? I'd had a miscarriage 1 1/2 months prior (in mid-November). I had quit my job that required me to travel 50% of the time. I was at home. Taking a break. Jobless.

I knew (even before I was late) that I was pregnant. I felt pregnant - as much as one can feel pregnant without feeling any nausea. I think it was a faint tenderness in my breasts that sealed the deal for me. I hadn't even taken a pregnancy test before I confirmed in my mind that I was indeed pregnant. But I waited another week before I tested again. Why'd I wait? I'd had a very light period at the end of December. My body was still recovering from the miscarriage, remember? I didn't even notice that I'd ovulated (I know the signs of my body ovulating). At the end of January, it was official. I was pregnant. Even my ob/gyn was flabbergasted that I'd become pregnant so quickly. We did an estimated delivery date because both of us were unsure of WHEN I'd ovulated.

I quickly found a job in town. I had to work until I was due. I had a TON of things to get before the baby arrived! I had to earn some money. Crib. Dresser. Clothes. Diapers (of various sizes). Toys. But the main reason for a new job? To stay busy. To keep my mind occupied in the event of another unfortunate ending.

We decided to wait until I'd past the 3 month mark before letting people know that we were expecting. My family was SO excited for us. My sisters was jazzed as well. My MIL? Remember that infamous question I told you about? "Was it an accident?" [pause-pause-pause] "Or were you trying?"

Now I have a beautiful, tall, lanky 4 year old. She has big brown eyes. Long dark brown hair. Long fingers. Thin feet. 3 little beauty marks. Intelligent as all heck. Sassy as anything when she's tired. The asker of a million questions. She's my princess!

No comments: