Friday, January 14, 2005

Looks like it'll be for him

For the last 6 months or so, my hubby has been eluding to the fact that he wants to buy me a new vehicle in 2005.

Me: That'll be great honey. All I want is something with three rows so that the kids won't have to LOOK at each other.

[You parents with more than one child know EXACTLY what I'm talking about]

Hubs: Yeah. How about a Land Rover?

Me: Ummm... that's a lot of money. Especially since the kids are still little & make a mess.

Hubs: But it'll be a nice car for you.

In my head, I'm thinking that it'll be a nice car for HIM when he's driving us around on the weekends. You see, he HATES my current vehicle. He thinks it's wimpy. That it doesn't have enough power under the hood. Also, the seat bottom is too short for his long legs. You know how it is on long drive. You want to be in comfort? Well, he's not. I think my vehicle is just fine. It gets me where I want to go. I've got enough power to pass other cars when I need to. It's a good car for me.

Like I said, my hubby has been eluding to the fact that he wants to buy me a car. What do I think it going to happen? I think we're going to have to get HIM a new car first.

Why? Since we've moved here (March 2004), we've had to bring his truck into the mechanic at least 6 times. SIX! It hasn't even been 12 months that we've lived here. It's a 1996 Dodge Ram truck. It's not that old, right? But those darn lights on the dashboard have been lighting up. Check Engine. Check Engine. Oy!

Last night he told me about the latest issue with his truck. He said that for the last two days it's been sounding funny. That it hasn't wanted to start. When it does start that it sounds like it's about to die. Then when he was at the gas station, it suddenly revved really high. Hmmm... Really suspect.

Once the kids were in bed, he and I had a short conversation.

Me: How long are you going to keep your little car? [This is his 2nd car - the one he's had since before we met. It also needs some work.]

Hubs: A while.

Me: I was thinking that we probably should get you a new car this year.

Hubs: But I'm getting you a car.

Me: I think YOU are the one who needs a new car. You are the one who is working and needs a reliable vehicle.

End of conversation.

This morning after I picked him up at the mechanic and was driving him back to work.

Hubs: He (the mechanic) thinks it's a bad battery connection.

Me: Okay. Then it'll be done by the end of the day. That's good. Especially since Monday is a day off for a lot of folks.

Pause. Pause. Pause.

Hubs: So if I trade in the truck, then I'll just buy a Land Rover. Then I'll drive your car.

Me: Why don't you just drive it?

Pause. Pause. Pause.

Me: If you trade the truck in what are we going to use when we need to bring the crib when we visit your family?

Hubs: Hmmmm...then maybe I'll just get that Chevy Suburban.

Me: That's fine honey. My car is running fine.

Can you believe he's hemming and hawing about getting a new vehicle? I know he wants a Chevy Suburban. I think he feels guilty that he's been talking about getting me something. Yes, I know they're gas guzzler vehicles, but we live really close to his office. If he buys one, I know he'll be much happier when we go on our trips to see his and my family. He'll have his "man" SUV. The kids will have the room they need. I'll have the room to take care of them all on long trips.

No comments: