Friday, February 4, 2005

12 years ago

Do you know what YOU were doing 12 years ago?

Alas, 12 years ago tonight....I met my husband.

The stars aligned and I met him. I say that because I wasn't supposed to be where I met him. I had finally got myself to a place in my life where my work was going well and I wasn't looking for a relationship. I was settled with the fact that my career was it.

That evening, I had scheduled a happy hour for a bunch of buddies from work. It was a group of people I'd initially worked with when I first was temping at the company. I hadn't had a chance to chat with them in a while, so I thought I'd draw them out with a happy hour.

It was fun. We ate appetizers. We drank some beer. But my one girl friend (GF) had to leave. She said she was meeting her husband at another happy hour. One of our long time sales associates was leaving the company. There was a BIG happy hour for him at a restaurant two miles away from our location. GF was taking the receptionist (a young girl looking for a boyfriend) because she wanted her to meet some of her hubby's friends.

GF: Do you want to go?

Me: I don't know. It's mostly going to be sales people...

GF: Come on. It's just down the road.

What did I do? I caved to peer pressure. Hey! It was Friday night and I didn't have anything better to do. Plus, there would be dancing! How can a single girl pass that up?

We caravaned to the restaurant. We walk in together. The place is already packed for happy hour. Thankfully, the group we were meeting had overtaken the upstairs seating area. We walked up and I finally met GF's husband. I also met the three buddies of her husband. Their names were a blur. It was a good time. I danced. I drank. I danced some more.

Around 9pm, I decided to head on out. GF and her hubby were also ready to leave. We walked out together. They dropped me off at my car and headed out. I got myself situated in my vehicle and warmed it up. I put it into reverse and was about to pull out...

[knock-knock-knock]

Me: Holy Hannah! What the heck?

There was one of GF's hubby's buddies knocking on my window.

Me: [rolling down the window] Hi!

Guy: Hey, I was wondering if you wanted to grab some coffee?

Me: Uh, yeah, sure.

Guy: Why don't we meet up down the road at that Denny's?

Me: Sure. I'll see you there.

We drive the 5 miles down to the Denny's. We sit down. I order a coffee. He orders milk. Yes! He ordered a glass of milk! How cute is that? We talked for a long time. What we talked about? I don't know. It's a blur. We finished our drinks and he walked me to my car.

Guy: So, I was wondering if you wanted to go out tomorrow night.

Me: Hmmm...I'm not sure if I'll be up to it.

Guy: Oh....

Me: I have to go into work tomorrow (Saturday). I'm not sure how tired I'll be.

Guy: I have to work too. Why don't you give me your cell number and I'll give you a call around 3 to see if you're not too tired.

Me: Okay.

The next day I went to work. I had TONS to do. But you know what question kept on cropping up in my mind?

What the HELL was that guy's name?

You've got it folks. I couldn't remember his name. You've got to remember that I was introduced to three of them the night before. The night that I had a bit to drink. I could only remember one name "Mark".

[ring-ring-ring]

Me: Hello?

Guy: Hi! It's me [insert my hubby's real name].

Me: Oh HI [insert my hubby's name]!

Needless to say, it was a meeting that I'll never forget. From that day on, we were a couple. A little over 3 years after we'd met, we wed. Now here we are with two wonderful kidlings. A chance meeting.

No comments: