Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Idiot driving sightings

Sighting #1:

There I was gaining speed to get onto the freeway. I look. It's clear. I took one last look before I commit to entering. Luckily I did. The guy in a construction truck of some sort (AZ Lic#CB-000784) who was in the middle lane got into my lane. Uh. Dude! I'm trying to get on the freeway here. My lane ends. Why did you get into MY lane at that moment? Because you had to get off on the NEXT exit. One mile away.

Sighting #2:

Just picked up the Princess. We were driving westbound in the left lane (2 lanes going westbound). We came to a red light and stopped. A white SUV came up & stopped behind us. How do I know this? I checked my rearview mirror. I saw the front windshield of the SUV behind me. The light turned green. I accelerated. I got to about 7 miles above the posted speed limit. Why do I know this? I checked my speed. Why? Because the white SUV was tailgating me. How do I know this? Because when I looked in my rearview mirror I only the front windshield of the SUV. This person was driving THAT close to me. 7 miles per hour above the speed limit. Space opened up in the right lane as the car that was in that lane dropped back to make a right turn onto some street. The white SUV? Popped over to the right. We approached another intersection. What happened? A red Mazda RX (probably from the 80s) that was going eastbound hung a u-turn. A u-turn that ended in the righthand westbound lane. In FRONT of that white SUV. The white SUV (of course) had to slam on its brakes so it wouldn't hit the Mazda. Ha!

Sighting #3:

If you're lost, please do NOT meander at 10 mph below the speed limit in the road construction zone (posted speed 35mph). I knew we were in trouble when a grey Nissan Sentra in front of me drove through the intersection & rode his brakes all the way across. Then this Nissan crawled through the coned area on the other side of the intersection. Then decided to make a left turn -- without having the decency to get as far left as possible. I couldn't pass him on the right. There was NO room. When he finally cleared enough space (after the slew - about 10 cars went the other direction), he made a u-turn. In a road construction zone.

No comments: