Wednesday, June 1, 2005

Ch-ch-ch-changes

The demolition at my parents house starts today. My BIL (Sis#2 hubby) will be taking out the faucets to all the sinks.

Tomorrow? The countertops and sinks will be hauled out.

Next Monday? The refacing of the cabinets is set to begin. They'll have new drawers installed. New cabinet doors will be put in with hidden hinges. Pulls will also be put on the new cabinets. Don't know how long the refacing process will take. Anyone know?

Next Friday? The new Corian countertops (in Sandstone) and sinks will be installed in the kitchen and the 2 1/2 baths.

I don't know when the plumber will be in to install the new faucets (which haven't been purchased as yet) and the new garbage disposal (which also hasn't been purchased). I'm trying to talk my Mom into purchasing a new low-flow toilet for the downstairs powder room. Their current one is original and it's got a leak in it (so it's got a drip-drip sound). I told her that since the plumber is coming out to install the faucets that she should ask him if he could take out the old toilet and install a new one.

I don't know the specific timeframe, but I do believe the crew that'll be removing the acoustic (popcorn) ceiling will begin sometime this week. Once they finish removing all the ceiling material, they'll prime and paint the ceiling a fresh coat of white. All the walls for the downstairs will also be painted different tones of khaki-beige. The chandelliers in the entry, dining, and stairwell will also be changed out. I'm going to try to get LilSis to buy a new fixture for the powder room so that's updated as well.

LilSis is taking a couple weeks off from work to clear out old stuff from the house. She's actually rented a small dumpster for a month. The dumpster will be emptied once a week. So she and my Mom can go through the house and get things out. A Clean Sweep kind of deal. My Mom is having a hard time letting go of items. Stuff she doesn't even look at on a regular basis. So LilSis is going to help her let go of things. For example, my Mom bought a new coffeemaker at Christmas. She has the old one in the garage. Just sitting there. She doesn't want to throw it out.

I convinced them that they've got enough stuff to have a garage sale. Dehydrator. Carseat. Booster seat. Umbrella stroller. Regular stroller. Couch. Matching chair. A few lamps. Frames. Wall decorations. Kid toys. Shoes (both LilSis and my Mom have tons of unused shoes). Clothes. Oh...the clothes! My Mom has tons of clothes that she doesn't use. She uses her closet. 1/2 of my Dad's closet. 1/2 of the guest closet. But I seem to see her in the same outfits all the time. I told LilSis that she should go through my Mom's closet, get 5 items that are never worn, show them to my Mom, and convince her that she doesn't need them. I told her she should do this every 2 days or so while my Mom is at work. This way the closets get cleaned out gradually. I think my Mom is overwhelmed at the sheer volume of what she has to go through. This'll make it easier for her.

By the time the Princess and I come back at the end of June, the entire downstairs and some of the upstairs will be transformed. It's going to be so exciting!

No comments: