Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Changes in fashion

You know that show "What NOT to Wear"? My Mom would be a great candidate for it.

She is a tiny lady. 4'11". Tiny, right? She's shaped like a pear. She's got some 'back' on her. Kind of compensates for the tummy front on her. Ha!

She has this habit of wearing leggings and tapered pants with large shirts and sweaters. She thinks it's comfortable, which it is. She has this idea that she's bigger than she really is.

Before I left on vacation, LilSis and I had a fashion intervention on my Mom. Like I mentioned before, we all went to the mall. We hit the Gap. What was different was that we convinced my Mom to buy some basic t-shirts. You know. Those body hugging ones that are made for a woman's curves?

When we got home we made her put one on. I hunted down a pair of boot cut jeans that don't fit me anymore and had my Mom throw those on. To see her in that tiny female-cut t-shirt with some non-tapered pants was amazing. I found a pair of brown loafers and had her slip those on. I took her to my bathroom and had her look at her reflection. She was pretty stunned by what she saw. The t-shirt emphasized her small frame. The boot-cut jeans made her hips look smaller. The loafers gave her an overall conservative and updated look. I hunted down more things. A couple scarves. A blue blazer. A blue turtleneck. I showed her that those simple pieces worked together. Changed her look. I showed her how to layer the pieces. How she looked more modern. Not frumpy.

"The person I see physically in front of me is how I see you in my minds' eye. This is how your aura is to me. Modern. Conservative. Simple."

I think to actually SEE how the clothes looked on her really made her think. Made her check herself out. She saw how much younger and how much fresher she appeared. How snazzy. How peppy. And that she did have a cute little body!

No comments: