Wednesday, July 6, 2005

Hosting is much better with lots of guests

It's amazing how much more fun it is to have Hubs side of the family over when it's NOT just his immediate clan.

Who was in attendance? MIL. FIL. SIL. BIL. BIL's fiancee (BILF). Hubs cousin. Hubs cousin's wife (HCW). Cousin's two girls.

-------------------------------------------------

The Hubs was on BBQ duty. That's the reason we invited everyone over. To have food cooked on our new built-in BBQ. He basically did a rocking good job.

[smirk-smirk]

What was the biggest mistake he made? To let my BIL take a shift at the BBQ. The Hubs had finished up cooking the burgers. Those of us inside were waiting for the Brats & hot dogs. But it was taking SO LONG!

I found out later on when we were cleaning up WHY it was taking ages to get the rest of the food cooked. My BIL decided to help out. He was taking care of things when...

"Dude. The grill is cold."

The Hubs goes over. Indeed. The grill is cool. The flames were out. My BIL had been working a grill that wasn't even on. AND he didn't notice until it had cooled down.

[snort-snort]

What was even funnier is right at that moment when my BIL was grilling, we (BILF, HCW, and I) were talking about my BILs greatest grilling bloopers of the past. Yes. He has two famous (or should I say INFAMOUS) moments.

The first was when my BIL was living in an apartment. He had the grill on the balcony. He opened the grill to check on what was being cooked and BAM! Smoke came out in a huge billow. Flames shot up. Almost lit the bamboo blind at the top of the balcony cover on fire. The second incident was at the first house he bought. It was another family gathering. My BIL was cooking. He checked on the food. Yes! A bunch of smoke came out. Then there were the flames.

What's funny about both incidents? The same two family members (a couple) who came in from out of town were in attendance. They were the reason we were all gathered. So we figured this time around? Since that couple wasn't there? That's why we didn't have HUGE flames coming out of the BBQ. He-he-he!

I'm in a conversation with BILF & HCW at the bar area of the kitchen.

"Oh yeah! It was the other day."

Who said that? The Hubs. He was sitting on the couch about 15 feet away. Chiming in on a conversation he wasn't even a part of.

"Sweetie. What're you doing? Doing that yelling across the room thing that I hate?"

He smiled at me. I smiled at him. He knew what I was talking about. This is something his Mom & his sister do ALL THE TIME. I don't know about the rest of you, but I was taught that it's rude to yell across a room. Especially when you're in a social gathering. A dance party where you can barely hear each other is one thing. But a quiet Sunday afternoon? Quite another.

Now where were the two when this went down? My MIL was sitting on the couch & my SIL was sitting on the barstool closest to the couch. They were right in between the Hubs and myself. The two are notorious for YELLING across the room to add their 2 cents on conversations. Conversations they are not a part of. Ha-ha-ha! Too funny.

-------------------------------------------------

When your spouse or significant other gives up something, do you give it up too? Like giving up soda because it's empty calories.

After the Princess was born, my ILs gave up smoking. Cold turkey. Together. The Princess was born in September. As of January of that next year, my ILs had a New Year's Resolution to stop smoking. I guess they'd heard enough from us that they couldn't smoke when we came to visit with the Princess. It was a good thing to do. They did it for her. They did it for their health.

My MIL and FIL normally drink coffee after dinner. They always brew a small pot after they finish their meal. Once everyone had finished their meal, I started a pot. I wanted one. I knew that HCW wanted one.

Me: "MIL. There's coffee if you want some."

MIL: "No thank you. I'm having my teeth bleached in a couple weeks."

Me looking confused.

MIL: "I'm using a special toothpaste to get my teeth prepped for the bleaching. I can't drink coffee after so I'm starting to cut down now."

Me: "Oh. Okay."

I went and made my own cup of coffee. I corraled HCW and she prepared her cup.

Me: "FIL. Do you want some coffee?"

FIL: "No thanks."

Me: "Hmm...okay. Fine."

I walk off and take a drink out of my cup. I guess he noticed what I was doing.

FIL: "Oh. You have some brewed already?"

Me: "Yeah. That's why I asked if you wanted any."

MIL: "Well, if you've already got some brewed I'll take some."

He went over and made himself a huge cup of coffee.

Was he not going to have a cup of coffee because my MIL was not having some? I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. He does things just so that my MIL doesn't constantly bitch at him. That's how she gets what she wants. She bitches until he concedes to her point of view.

-------------------------------------------------

Hugs a plenty!

So this time around, it wasn't a bad gathering. I guess us "married in" girls just have to stick together. I'm glad my kids and my HC kids (2nd cousins) were able to play together. Even though they only see each other about 4 times a year? They ADORE each other. FANTASTIC!

No comments: