Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Catching some Zzz's

As a kid I had no trouble sleeping. I was always WIPED OUT by the end of the day.

As an adult? I crave more sleep. I just can't get enough. Now that we have children, my nightly snooze is usually interrupted by sounds from the kids' rooms (usually the Bear's).

But HOW do you sleep?

I'm basically a side-sleeper. I mainly sleep on my right side. If I slept on my left it was minimal. It just wasn't as comfortable. Even now I'm still sleeping mainly on my right side. I will sleep on my left, but only if the Hubs is faced away from me. I can't stand anyone breathing on me!

When I nap on the couch I'm not picky about what position I'm in. I can even nap on the floor. With the kids running around me. If I'm tired enough I'll konk out with no problems. Before I had kids I'd have to be in a quiet room to take a snooze. No more. I don't always have the luxury of being alone in a quiet room now. So it's the couch or the floor for naps.

When I was pregnant, I did have a weird habit. I actually was drawn to sleeping on my back. And you ladies know that is a big "no-no" during pregnancy. I had to prop a kingsize pillow behind me so I wouldn't roll fully onto my back. So I'd lay there at a 45 degree angle on the pillow. PLUS, I'd throw my left arm up straight against the side of my head (like I was raising my hand in class trying to get a teacher's attention). I think I did this because that position opened up my lungs more and I could get more oxygen into my system. I also snored like nobody's business while I was pregnant. I remember being half asleep sometimes and hearing snoring and wondering "Who is making that noise?" Then I'd realize that it was ME!

No matter what season it is, I am never fully covered. I tend to get warm when I'm sleeping (which is good for the Hubs always has a chill in his bones during winter). To alleviate the heat, I usually stick a foot out from under the covers. A foot you say? Yup! Having a foot out usually regulates my body temperature and I can sleep. It's like having that foot out 'vents' the warmth. The Hubs always chuckles to himself when he sees an exposed foot peaking out from under the sheets as he's getting ready in the morning. I'm sure there are a bunch of you out there that do the SAME thing, right? Right?

No comments: