Sunday, December 11, 2005

Men who wear buttondown shirts & a wish list

This might sound silly but I need advice. On undershirts.

I'm serious.

Now what brand and style of undershirt do you wear under your button-down shirts?

Crew neck? V-neck?

Loose fitting? Body hugging? Why?

What brand lasts the longest?

These are the questions in my mind. Yes. I'm going to buy my husband some undershirts but don't know what to get.

Come on. I'm the practical gift giver. Actually, I also ASK for practical gifts.

In the past, I've asked for the following:

An iron. It was a Rowenta. About $80.

A toaster. It was a DeLonghi. About $60.

Make-up brushes. From MAC. And you women know how much those can be.

On Thanksgiving, for the Hubs' side of our family we select a name out of a hat. Then we each buy presents for the one person we picked. So the "list" I give out each year goes out to one person. As you can see from my past, I'll put pricey items that I'd never buy for myself. I would normally just buy a $20 iron or toaster. I'd normally buy brushes that are less than $5. But for the holiday wish list? Pricey items.

Demanding? I'd say not. The Hubs' family are the ones who started the gift exchange. They are the ones who said to make a list. They are the ones who put a dollar limit each year. Since everyone has a good job it's up to $150!!!!

What was on this year's list?

A 5 to 8 cup rice cooker (I've got a little 3-cup one that isn't quite enough for a family of 4)

DVD/VCR combo (so the kiddos can use the old DVD player and the old VCR player upstairs for their shows)

Fuzzy slippers (the ones I've got were from 2 Xmas's ago and are WORN out)

BIG coffee mug (since I'm working from home and the small cups I have aren't cutting it)

Boring? Some might say so. But it's stuff that I'd like to get. I didn't put specific brands on anything because it doesn't matter for the stuff on the list. In the past, I did put down specifics. It's especially important when it comes to clothes. I would put down the store (if it's exclusive to one location), the size, the various colors, etc.

I tell you. My style of "list" has caught on. I selected my BIL out of the hat this year. He put down a brand of shirt that is only sold at one store chain. He also put down a pillow. A pillow? Yeah. From that $elect Comfort place. The Hubs and I could NOT believe the price points of stuff in that store. But it was on my BIL's 'wish list'. Stuff that he'd never buy for himself! So the Hubs and I didn't bat an eye when we paid for it.

As for my side of the family. We get the kids the gifts. All the adults get a 'couple gift'. We're all paired off now. Remember that LilSis and Shorty are engaged? They get ONE gift. HA!

Now what does YOUR family do for the holidays? Do you buy every child and every adult a gift? Do you have a price limit per gift? Do you only buy for the kids? Do all the married adults get only a 'couple gift'?

No comments: