Thursday, February 2, 2006

I knew he gave me an icky feeling

About a month ago, a new guy (NG) started working at the company. Fine and dandy.

Since he worked at the main office, I never got to meet him face-to-face. I only spoke to him on the phone about half a dozen times. A couple times were on conference calls.

The one time I had him on the phone, it wasn't pretty. I wanted to do was ask him a couple questions and get some simple answers back. Nope. It was 20 minutes of listening to him ramble. The call should have only taken less than 5.

Another time, he called me to ask me some questions. I was swamped trying to complete some work on another project. And he kept on rambling on about what HE needed from me. I tried to put him off. I stopped what I was doing. Mid-stream and I tried to access the information he was inquiring about. But he kept talking. And talking.

NG: "Isn't there a standard set of reports? Aren't you the expert on these reports? All I need is..."

I finally had to lay it on the line...

Me: "Well, I could get you some answers but I'm talking to you. Right?"

Dead silence. For the first time on the call.

Me: "Why don't you give me about 15 minutes and I'll email you the information. Okay? Bye."

He seriously got on my nerves. I would have been fine if he'd just sputtered on for a couple minutes. And then stopped. But he woudn't (or is that couldn'tI even had to vent about the call to another co-worker (CW).

CW: "No I've never had to work with him yet. I've seen him in the office. He seems like a nice enough guy..."

But the doozie was when NG was supposedly the point person on a project. A project that he'd been working on with the head honcho of the company. We had a conference call with these new clients. The head honcho was tied up with another client and couldn't make it to the call. And NG had no idea how to lead the call. He had no idea what the objective of the call was.

And the call ended up being horrible. Uncomfortable. For us. And the client. We're lucky we didn't lose them as a client!

The only good thing about that call was that one of the guys who started the company was in on the call. He tried valiantly to 'save' the call but NG just kept on talking. Us into a hole....

But I found out yesterday that NG is gone. Flown the coup. No longer a part of our team.

And he's left the two projects he's working on...in shambles. He didn't model his documentation like anyone else. He went doing his own thing. Now no one can figure out what the heck the status is on what he was doing based on the documentation.

And from what I can recall on the one conference call with the client. It was a simple project. Find out what the client uses. Get sample source files. Get the finished product the client creates. Find out how the client uses the source files to make the finished product. And BANG! Done!

I just can't believe the nut-job was making more money than me! OY! What a mess he created....

No comments: