Thursday, February 9, 2006

A kinder gentler ride

Yesterday morning, the Bear was whiney as we left the house for 'school'.

I couldn't figure out why. I hugged him as I strapped him into his carseat. I gave him his lunchbag to hold.

Still whiney.

I got in the car. Backed it out of the garage.

"Oh, Bubby! What's wrong?"

The Princess said this in a sing-song manner. In her little girl voice.

She turned around and looked at him. He still looked distressed.

I began the drive.

She looked at him. He looked at her.

She held out her hand to him. He reached out to her. And they held hands. **

The moment he touched her hand. He settled down.

They held hands the entire drive to his daycare. All 5 minutes.

But it was quiet. They were both settled. Finally.


**We have three rows in my car. And we sit zig-zag. I sit in the driver's seat (duh!). My daughter sits to my right in the middle row. The middle row has bucket seats and we keep the unused one down. The Bear sits in the third row on the left. So they had to cooperate & work together to hold hands.

No comments: