Saturday, February 4, 2006

Unexpected playdate

Beautiful day today. High wispy clouds. A very slight breeze. The sun was shining...82 degrees! Absolutely gorgeous.

After running some quick errands in the morning, we all came home. I ran inside to see if a website that I needed to access for work was working (it had been down all morning). The Hubs and the kids stayed out front playing.

I could see them running around. Jumping. Laughing outside the office window. I shot out there as soon as I could after doing some work. The kids were so happy that both Mommy and Daddy were outside supervising.

I spotted my little guy's JOhn Deere gator at the bottom of the driveway.

{{{ding-ding-ding}}}

I turned the Gator to go up the driveway. And I sat down on it.

Ok. Calm down folks. I should tell you that I sat carefully onto the little yellow seat with my legs pointed forward.

My daughter picked up on this quick. She ran over behind me and PUSHED me up the driveway. Then we turned around and she pushed me back toward the street. After my daughter pushed me back up the driveway, there was a shift change.

The Bear could NOT be left out in this "fun". So he had a turn of pushing me down and then back up (oh so slowly) the driveway. My boy? He is STRONG!

Anyway, the kids were having a good time and our neighbor's daughter (ND) came riding up on her Razor.
ND: "My Dad said I could come over to play!"

So ND, the Bear and the Princess played outside for another 30 minutes.

We all headed indoors after that. It was 11:30am, so the Hubs mentioend that he was going to make some lunch for the kids.

Me: "What can ND eat?"

Hubs: "I dunno honey."

Me: "Why don't you go ask her Dad (aka Good Neighbor - GD)?"

I walk over to GD's house. He was working outside prepping his pop-up camper for a trip.

Me: "Hey GD!"

GD: "Oh hi!"

Me: "We're going to make some lunch for the kids. We wanted to find out what ND can eat."

GD: "You know she's real picky. Just give her whatever your kids are having and hopefully she'll eat a bit."

ND? She ate all her grilled cheese and tortillas chips.

Anyway, the girls played upstairs for a while. Then they played in the backyard for a while. They did some art project together in the kitchen. Then they played upstairs again.

All of a sudden it was 4:30pm and there was a knock on our front door. It was GD. The afternoon had flown by. And everyone was happy.

GD: "Hey hi! We realized it was getting late and that we should probably pick up ND."

Me: "Okay."

GD: "How was she?"

Me: "She was fine. She ate lunch. She had some drinking yogurt for a snack about half an hour ago. The girls did do some art. Here's the stuff ND made."

GD: "She always plays so nice with the Princess."

I know for a fact that when ND plays with my daughter she's a lot more calm in her play than with the other girls in the neighborhood. I guess she gets a little wild at their houses. And the fact that his daughter was at our house for 5 hours without coming home attested to him that he could leave her with us with no problems.

Both the Bear and the Princess had a grand time with ND. The Bear didn't play with ND the entire time of course. The girls did play alone in the Princess' room for quite a while. I think my little guy was just happy to have someone over.

I walked outside to chat with GD's wife who I hadn't seen in ages. As we talked ND's little sister (LS) started to walk up and down our driveway. ND, being a typical big sister know-it-all, picked up LS and carried her back to where the adults were chatting. Being a typical younger sibling, LS cried out in protest of being controlled.

GD: "ND! Put LS down! She hasn't cried the entire time you've been at the Princess house."

What's funny? Having ND over at our house prevented MY kids from getting on each other's nerves.

Hmmm....Sounds like typical sibling rivalry...

But it was GREAT to have such a good day. It just flew by too quickly....

No comments: