Monday, July 3, 2006

Did YOU see any protester's this weekend?

The Hubs and I did. We were at the mall browsing since we didn't have the kids.

We happened to walk by a Vicky's Secret and I glanced and saw a group of ladies sitting outside with their babies. In my head, I was thinking "what the heck?" But then I recalled in the back of my mind that there was some controversy with b-feeding at that particular store.

Then it was a light-bulb moment.

Protest. Outside the store. "Ahhhh..."

So you ladies that are reading...did YOU b-feed your baby?

I did for both my kidlings. My daughter for abou 10 months. My son only for 3 months.

What was sad for me is that my ILs were SO uncomfortable with it. I had to sit in another room while I fed the kidlings. Thankfully, I found friends who also b-fed their babies and we did it without feeling self-conscious. We'd meet up at each other's homes. We'd go to the park. We even went to the mall a few times.

What's amazing to me is the discontinuity in what we're hearing about b-feed'ing. The medical community says it's the BEST thing we can do for our babies. But then there's so much discomfort from other people. People in our society just aren't comfortable seeing a woman bf'ing her baby. It's weird. It's not like women who b-feed are exposing their tophalf.

Anyway, I don't see anything wrong with women who b-feed'ing their baby. If I see anyone feeding their baby, I look the mom in the eye and I smile and nod my head. Just a simple way of letting her know that she's doing something great.

Did YOU see any of these ladies outside your local Vicky's?

Where do YOU stand on the situation?

No comments: