Saturday, August 26, 2006

The name game - Part 3

What have you and your siblings and/or your children named after? Names passed down from generation to generation? Names that have special meaning?

My parents named us whatever happened to come into their heads as a "good" sounding name. I think they gave us all SOLID names. Nothing frilly or trendy.

The only unusual thing that happened was that 3 of us got 2 first names, the my Mom's maiden name as our middle name, and then my Dad's last name. By 2 first names I mean something like Stacey Faye. But my second sister only go 1 first name, my Mom's maiden and then my Dad's last name. What makes it even more pronounced is that she had the shortest first name. Four simple letters. We always found that odd. But it turns out she was the only daughter that my Dad named. AHA!

My Mom's parents named their kids according to the alphabet. The first kid had an "A" name. The second kid (my Mom) got a "B" name. The third kid got a "C" and so on. They got up to the letter "G", so there are 7 kids in all. AND this method of naming makes it easy for us to remember in what order my Mom's siblings were born.

Of couse, we all know of those families that name their kids with the same name. The Duggar's and their 16 kids are the most well known right now. Can you believe they thought up all those "J" names? Whew!

My BIL (the husband of the sister with one first name) and his 3 siblings all have "A" names. What's interesting is that my BILs one set of cousins from his father's side (4 in all) also have "A" names. And they all grew up in the same neighborhood. So if you didn't know them, you'd think they were all from the same parents because of how their names were - "A" last name.

Then there's the weirdness of my husband's parents. My husband is the oldest - let's say his name is Peter Sam. His younger brother (who is second born) is Sam Jeff. If the third child was a boy, his name would have been Jeff something. No one else in my MIL or my FILs family does this. Has anyone heard of this? I knew my ILs were weird but seriously!

Now what's the deal in your family? How are you named?

No comments: