Tuesday, January 23, 2007

And there's more to debate about our kids

Not MY kids. ALL of our school age kids.

I heard a blurb on the television this morning about a movement for "No Homework".

I find it an interesting thought but I don't have any hardline opinions on it. I know that when I was older that I needed time to review and study data. History. Practice math problems. Write up essays. I did that at home after school. In middle/junior and high school. I don't think I had "real" homework in elementary school at all. There were a few things but not a daily regiment of items to finish.

Kids nowadays seem to have homework every day. But then again that all depends on the school. I know that in Kindergarten, my daughter had homework she had to accomplish for the week but the neighborhood kindergarten kids had nothing to turn in. And now that my girl is in first grade, she has assignments for the week that need to be turned in by Friday. Not a whole lot. Mainly something that reinforces what the lesson plan is for the week. Some math. Some writing. Spelling. And then she has to read out loud for 15 minutes each day.

The thing is, I don't have my kids in a bunch of activities. When they're home they get to play. We're not off to classes or whatever. I am thinking of getting each into ONE activity per week. But that's not like what I hear about other kids' schedules. Some kids are out 5 days a week with activities. For my kids, I think that's too much. One should suffice for now. I like for them to have free time when they're home. Time to do what THEY want to do.

As for no homework? I think it's something that I want my kids to have. Assignments where I can help them solidify what they've learned in class. Where I can see if the lessons are sinking into their brains. You know?

So what do you think about "no homework"?

No comments: