Saturday, March 10, 2007

A long awaited moving...of furniture

Since I started working from home, I've been antsy about rearranging the furniture in the office.

The office was originally set up for my husband's use. The computer desk and regular desk in a classic L-shape in one corner. This way he could move easily from the computer desk to the regular desk with a minor swing from his chair.

But I started working from home. I use the office space more than he does. I use it at least 9 hours during the workweek. I use it maybe 2 to 4 hours each day on the weekends. Can you say workaholic? No. It's called NECESSARY. You read about one of my bonehead co-workers this week already.

Anyway, the Hubs is working a lot at nights and on the weekends getting ready for his new job. He's creating tables and compiling historical data. Just getting things ready. And he needs to use the computer in the office. That's fine because I've got a laptop. The ISSUE has been that the two desks are too close together.

But today? My ILs took the kids out for the afternoon. After we had a nice lunch out together, the Hubs and I spent a few hours rearranging the office. We cleared it out. We had to clean the floor something fierce. Dust bunnies galore. We also had to give the rug a good vacuuming with the Dyson. That thing was filled to the brim with dust/dirt/etc. We then discussed HOW we should place the desks. It's no longer in a basic L-shape anymore. See the rough drawing below. We actually discussed how the office would work for US. Not just him. Not just me. For us. And that was nice.

Cabinets

His Desk























My Desk


Now I feel like I have a legitimate claim in the office. He has taken claim of the computer desk. I have taken claim over the regular desk. And now we can have two chairs that won't bump into each other. We can now work in the same space without interferring with each other. As I'm sitting here using HIS desk, I actually realize that he would need to turn his head more to the left to SEE me at the other desk.

All we need to do is get the rest of our stuff back into the office. Our files. Our papers. Our stuff. But let's not invite those dust bunnies back, eh?

No comments: