Friday, March 30, 2007

Scruffy but real

The other day the Hubs work had an 'open house'.

The Hubs mentioned it to me Monday night as we sat relaxing on the couch after the kidlings were in bed.
Me: What time does it end?
Hubs: I think it finishes up around 6:30.
Me: Do you have to be there the entire time?
Hubs: Well, no one has talked to me about it. I just saw it on the Office Outlook schedule.
Me: No one has mentioned it?
Hubs: Nope. So I don't even know if they expect me to be there.
Me: You'd better find out!
The Hubs calls me around 11am the next day.
Hubs: They want me to be here for the open house.
Me: So I have to deal with the kids by myself tonight?
Hubs: The thing is....do you want to come by with the kids?
Me: It's a school day....and it's your daughter's late day because of dance practice. She doesn't get out until about 3:45....we won't be able to get over there until at least 4:15 at the earliest.
Hubs: That's fine.
Me: Okay. See you after 4!
So I get the Bear from daycare. I get the Princess from school. I have snacks and water in the car from them and drive across town. I pop in a movie for them because I had a conference call at 4. Thankfully it was a short call AND the kids were happily munching on snacks and watching their movie. The call ended right as I got into the parking lot of the Hubs office building. And people, as I was on my conference call I wasn't holding my phone. I had one of those earbuds in. AND I mostly had it on mute. It's a status call for everyone to provide info on where they're at with their projects. I usually just LISTEN to all the project managers. So I was safely driving and PAYING ATTENTION to the road.

We hop of the car and the kids CHARGE for the office door. They find the Hubs quickly. I must say that the kids did look like they'd had a good day. My son's hair was all askew. My daughter's hair that was neatly in a ponytail that morning was all free and wild. But they were all smiles and happy to see their Daddy. We ate the little sandwiches and other nice bites that were served by a caterer. Actually, the Bear just ate the desserts. His mouth had chocolate residue on it by the end there. The Princess had an appetite after a while.
Prin: Mommy?
Me: Yes honey?
Prin: Where is that meat on a stick?
Me: Why don't you ask the nice lady there who is serving drinks if they're going to bring out any more of that.
Prin: Excuse me?
Caterer: Yes?
Prin: I was wondering if you had any more of that meat on a stick?
Caterer: We do! I'll ask them to get some out.
Prin: Thank you!
And she ended up eating two of those things! The Caterer was fully impressed by the Princess. The other Caterer gal was dazzled by the Bear. She brought around a tray of something. She bent down to the Bear and showed him what was on the tray. He looked directly at her -- like into her eyes -- "No fank you!" and smiled. You could see that he had her eating out of the palm of his 4-year-old hand!

My kids looked scruffy from their long day at school but they were polite and giggly and having a good time. A handful of the clients stopped me and told me how great the kids were. Even though the two were doing the quiet chase around the room together that they were being careful and giving way to the adults. And when people spoke to them that the kids were polite and open. That made me happy that people could see what bright kids they are. That the kids were having a good time at an open house full of mostly adults.

My kids were NOT the only kids. The Hubs' boss' grandkids were in attendance. The new guys' 3 kids were there and HIS assistant's 3 kids were also meandering around. But the thing is? The boss' grandkids and the new guys' kids were all dolled up. It looked like they were in their Sunday clothes. You know? This thing happened on Tuesday afternoon, so when did they have time to get all fixed up? Apparently, the boss' wife picked up the grandkids from school around noon. This way they could get showered and changed. I guess this is what the new guys' kids did too. What's crazy is that the new guys' two daughters (5 and 7) carried around little purses with them. And they were being oh so careful with their dresses and purses. And didn't crack ONE smile or talk with anyone the entire time!

So....even though my kids were the scruffies of the bunch? At least they were "real" and sweet to the people they interacted with. My kids....they can be the BEST!

No comments: