Monday, July 2, 2007

Being a man

On Saturday when we went to the mall, I saw an interesting interchange between a son and his father.

We were walking out of Nordies on the second level. As we walked, my eyes drifted toward the escalators which were about 20 yards away. I saw this 6 or 7 year old boy at the top of the down escalator. Then I heard...

Come on Seth!

I looked and saw a man already going down the escalator. I saw the boy put his foot down and then he picked his foot right back up. He'd put his foot down right where the stairs split. He let out a distress sound.

Come on Seth! Let's go!

The man was already more than halfway down the escalator and it didn't look like he was making any move to go back up. I'm sure that Dad was thinking that it's ONLY an escalator and how hard could it be? Be a man! But the kid only looked around 6 or 7. How much of a man can a kid be at that age? But it can be a nerve-wracking thing to do on your own. The Hubs always holds the Bear's hand while the Bear holds the rail. And we make sure he understands when to step. The Princess is 2nd on after our boys. Then I take the caboose position of last in line. Just in case. We do the same for up and down escalators, as well as elevators.

Anyway, that distress sound the boy made was something I'd heard before. When the Princess or Bear aren't quite sure of how to do something. It was a sound of being nervous. Of being anxious. Of being uncertain. And I couldn't walk away. I let go of the Princess hand and asked her to wait for me.

As I walked toward the boy and said...

Me: Hey Buddy, let me help you.

I didn't want to scare him since I was coming up behind him. His right hand was on the right rail with the escalator belt running through it. So I took his left hand gently and held it at shoulder level for balance.

Me: OK. One. Two. Three. Step.

And he stepped. Right fully onto one step. And then I let him go. And I walked away.

I hooked back up with the Princess, who smiled at me when I approached her. I smiled back at her. Held her hand and continued on our way.

Me: What's that smile for Prin?
Princess: You helped that boy.
Me: Yes. I did.
Princess: I'm glad you did Mommy. He looked upset.
Me: I'm glad I helped him too. He really was sad, huh?
Princess: Yeah, he was.

So the Princess understands. We just help others when we can. It was 30 seconds. And it helped that little boy. Knowing he wasn't being abandoned by the world. Scared at the top of that escalator. That someone helped him to make it through that little moment. That people do care. And that's an important lesson that I hope to continue to teach the Princess and the Bear. We never leave anyone behind.

No comments: