Friday, November 9, 2007

The tooth...the tooth!

Last night, my daughter lost her 3rd tooth. FINALLY! She has been so lazy about wiggling that tooth around. I thought she was old enough to be responsible to wiggle that tooth without any prodding. I was downright….WRONG! On Sunday night after my attempt to remove the tooth failed, I laid down the law.
Every afternoon after school, you are going to do your homework. THEN you are going to sit down in the office and wiggle that tooth for 15 minutes. THEN when it’s time to get ready for bed, I’m going to try to pull it out. If the tooth doesn’t come out? You’ll go through the same routine the next day and the next day until that tooth is GONE!
So now? The tooth has been removed and the Princess is much relieved. I mean, she would start doing that deep nervous breathing and have freaked out eyes as soon as I would start tying the string around the tooth. EVERY SINGLE TIME. Today? You should have seen her reaction. I actually wiggled the tooth before I tied the string around it and that thing was on its LAST leg. Just barely hanging on. I tied it and pulled. But the string didn’t stay on. The second time I tied it and pulled. The darn string didn’t stay on. So the third time, I doubled up the string and TA-DA!
It’s out Prinny!
All I saw was a blur bounce and run away from me. She ran over to the Hubs in the office and said something to him. I couldn’t understand her. I couldn’t tell if she was happy or sad or hurt or whatever. Then I saw her run over to the bathroom and I heard the water running. I walked over and asked her if she was okay.
Yes Mommy. I’m fine. I’m SO HAPPY THAT IS OVER!
She was so relieved. I could just see it on her tear-streaked face. Her eyes had softened. There was no strain in her neck muscles or her shoulders. She was physically relieved that the tooth was gone. She had some sort of mental fear about the tooth being removed. And now it was over.

And she does realize that she’s got two more teeth that are just starting to get wiggly that she has to get working on.


On a similar note, the Hubs is at the dentist right now. As he was flossing his teeth this morning, a piece of one of his molars broke off. BROKE OFF! It was just what would have happened to my molar if I hadn't gotten my crown. But what happened to him is reality. At 6:30am, he came over to me and asked me for our dentist's number and showed me the piece of the tooth.

I walked over to the office and found the paper that had the dentist's office hours. 7am! I had him call the dentist and he left a message. I ended up driving the kids to school this morning. Around 7:30am, the Hubs calls me and asks me for our old dentist's number. Apparently, no one was at our new dentist's office even though they said their office hours started at 7am.

Anyway....I get home around 7:50am and the Hubs was in the office looking around the internet for a dentist. I call our new dentist and the receptionist picks up. I tell her the situation and ask if the dentist would be in soon. She said that he'd be in at 8am since they didn't have any appointments scheduled at 7am this morning. I handed the phone over to the Hubs and he spoke with the receptionist. I guess she let him know that he could come in now. And off he went. So I guess the dentist is now busily cleaning up the molar. It's the same situation as mine. The molar has a large old metal filling. I'm sure the strength of the molar had been compromised and there were cracks that developed. But what's great? Is that this dentist doesn't dilly-dally. He gets in there and cleans things up and preps the teeth efficiently. I'm sure the Hubs will be in and out of there in about an hour. I'm sure that'll make the Hubs happy. But can you believe it? TWO crowns in less than a month! ARGHH!

No comments: