Saturday, February 16, 2008

Move a little faster maybe?

Our fire alarm went off about 15 minutes ago. The fire detector up on the 2nd floor.

It went off after the Princess finished her shower and I opened the door to go in and left it open. I'm guessing that the hot warm air from her shower set it off. Strange because this doesn't happen all the time. This is only the 3rd time the fire alarm has gone off in the 3 years we've lived here.**

Anyway, both kiddos were in the bathroom when the alarm went off. The Hubs was sitting in the upstairs hall waiting for the Princess to finish, so that he could help the Bear with his shower. But when the alarm went off I got the Princess out of the tub and handed her a towel. The Bear was on the toilet doing his business so he sat there with his hands over his ears. I left the bathroom and closed the door behind me to "muffle" the screeching alarm. I started to run down the stairs and saw the Hubs walking down the bottom of the stairs with his hands over his ears.
Me: Turn off the ALARM!
Hubs: How do you do that?
Me: Do the code and off TWICE!
He pushes the buttons as I've indicated and the alarm turns off. I rush back upstairs. Not a minute later the Hubs cell phone rings. It's the security company. They wanted to verify that we were indeed canceling the fire alarm. They wanted to make sure all was well.

What did I learn tonight? The Hubs didn't pay attention the last time the alarm went off. I had explained to him exactly how to turn off any erroneous alarm. Now that he's actually had to do it himself? He'll probably (I'm hoping) remember. Another thing I learned that even in an emergency my husband does NOT move quickly. It's like how we hear a strange sound and he looks at me and says "What was that?" Like I would have any better determination of what the sound was even as I'm sitting right next to him. ARGH!



** The first time the fire alarm went off was one Saturday morning about a week after we had the security system installed. I didn't know how to turn off the alarm completely so that the security people realized it was a false alarm. They did indeed ring the fire department and the men in the yellow flame retardant outfits did show up at our house. They walked through and verified that it was a false alarm. We still have no idea why the alarm went off. After that incident I read through our security panel instructions and foudn out how to turn off an alarm to indicate it as a false one.

The second time the fire alarm went off was on a Saturday afternoon in May when we had all the doors and windows open. It was a warm day. We didn't realilze HOW warm it was I guess upstairs and the alarm tripped. Thankfully, I knew how to turn the alarm off and indicate it as a false alarm, so no fire officials appeared at our door.

No comments: