Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Nervously waiting

Today we'll be driving out to my folks' house.

Tomorrow? I'll be seeing someone that I mentioned last month.

You all know that I really dislike talking about myself and what I can do. It's not a natural thing for me. I know there are people out there who aren't embarrassed to discuss their opinion or stuff like that. I am not one of those people. So it's a struggle for me to convey to others about my skills. What I can bring to the table. All that jazz. HATE IT!

But I must tell you that the companies/people who have hired me have always been pleased with my work. My ability to learn things quickly. How I can take a project and run with it. The fact that I only need a minimal amount of guidance. My knack for picking up new software systems I've never seen or heard of before. My ability to feel comfortable interacting with all kinds of staff (accounting, engineering, customer service, etc.) or management. In fact, two of my previous managers that I've worked for have hired me on for other jobs.

Crazily enough...I tend to forget all these things. My mind can go completely blank sometimes. But you see....it's only during interviews that I freeze up. I'm fine once I'm on the job. I actually did work for temp firms a few times (when I got out of college and when we moved to a new city). and each time the company I temp'd for hired me. [sigh]

Anyway.... tomorrow afternoon I have a face-to-face interview. Yes. From that job I had the phone screen for. I'm nervous. I can already feel that my tummy is full of acid. The anticipation of it (and any interview) gets to me BIG time. I'm a bundle of nerves. I'm sure I'll get through it but I need to get my mind set on what types of things they'll ask me and have something prepared in my mind. So I DON'T. GO. BLANK.

Are YOU comfortable when you're interviewing for a new job? How do you prepare yourself? What do you do when you're nervous?

No comments: