Wednesday, October 22, 2008

3 Blind Mice...

Listening to the Hubs talk to his sister or Mom about stuff on the phone reminds me of....

The blind leading the blind.

Not to insult those of you who are visually impaired. I am legally blind myself, so I'm a kindred spirit.

Anyway, like I said....listening to them sometimes makes me cringe. Like tonight.

We heard the wonderful news that my BIL and my married-in SIL had their baby boy at around 6pm. Yeah! Unfortunately, he had a hard time breathing. We found out around 6:30pm that they were going to put a tube down his throat and also put him on a sugar drip solution. In my own mind, I figured he got some fluid in his lungs and was possibly diabetic.

Not 10 minutes ago, my SIL (the Hubs sister) called again. This was her 5th call since 6pm today. And she said that the little guy was in the NICU. Once the Hubs got off the phone I questioned him.

Me: So what's going on?
Hubs:
They've got him in the NICU. And they've got a tube in to help him breath.
Me:
Is he sedated then? Since there's a tube down his throat?
Hubs:
I don't know. But they've got a breathing tent on him along with that sugar drip.
Me:
Do they think fluid got into his lungs? Or are his lungs just not fully developed? Is the tube down through his mouth? Or is it one of those that goes down his nasal passages into his throat? And did they testing him for diabetes?
Hubs:
I don't know.
Me:
I mean, he was over 10 pounds.
Hubs:
Don't know what to tell you.

The Hubs had a 10 minute conversation with his sister at 8:45pm and gave me same information that he gave me at 6:30pm. There are some basic questions that need answered, don't you think? If you're going to call 5 times in less than 3 hours then you should get me some new information. What is the root cause of his breathing problems? Could he possibly have diabetes?

No comments: