Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Toying with a 9/80

9/80?

What's that you might ask.

It's where you work 80 hours in 9 days rather than 80 hours in 10 days.

Basically you work a 9 hour day for 9 days in a row.

And on the 10th day? You have it OFF. Woohoo!

In January 1995, I worked in a company where a 9/80 work schedule was established. Our regional VP found out about the program in November 1994. She made sure that all the accounting managers were aware of the new program. In December 1994, our accounting group had a team meeting to decide what days we'd be off. We decided to keep Tuesdays to Thursdays full team days. Everyone would be in. So we got to choose which Monday or Friday we'd start taking our 10th day off.

It seemed that a bunch of people wanted Fridays off. I was more strategic. I looked at my calendar. Back in those days we still celebrated Lincoln and Washington's birthdays separately in February. The holidays were on Mondays - two weeks apart. So what did I do? I made sure that I started my 10th day off the Monday in-between those two holidays. Yes. I did. I ended up with 3 three-day weekends in a row. THREE of them! It was glorious!

What's funny was the response I received from those who choose the alternate Monday off. They said I was I was "lucky" for selecting my 10th day off when I did. They ended up losing their 10th day off due to national holidays. Suckers! It's called planning WAY in advance. But that's just me, you know? Anal me. The one who likes to stay in control. The one who tries her darndest to stay ahead of the game. Anyway...

Fourteen years later, we're facing a slow economy. Are companies looking at a 9/80 work period? What it equates to is fewer cars on the road. Less gas being used. Happier employees that get an extra day off. So is your company adjusting your work week???

No comments: