Thursday, February 28, 2008

4am Service Calls

Transitioning from a deep dreaming sleep into full wakefulness in 3 seconds is NOT the way to be awakened in the middle of the night.

I was roused abruptly out of bed this morning by the Princess. It was 4am!!!

MOM! I have a bloody nose! There's a lot of blood!

Me being legally blind, I had to grab my eyeglasses on the bedstand and get her before she bled onto our beige carpet. I had her in the master bath in less than 10 seconds. I grabbed some tissue and stood next to the sink and held her nose.

Oh my goodness. About 3 minutes later I felt lightheaded. Like I was about to pass out. Like my head was weaving left and right. I was in bad shape. I had the Princess hold her nose and I stepped away and got more tissue. Then I sat on the floor and had her sit on my lap. I think my quick get-up and get into the bathroom move drained all the blood from my sleepy head. Plus the odor of the blood in the air also made me feel lightheaded. It was the most strange feeling. But sitting down really helped get my head back on straight.

Unfortunately, the Princess woke her brother as she freaked out in the upstairs bath when she realized her nose was bleeding. First, the Bear ran around upstairs looking for his sister. Then he cautiously came downstairs and looked in our bedroom. The Princess and I were in the bathroom with the door closed so the Bear didn't see us. He apparently started to run off sobbing when the Hubs called out to him. The Bear got into bed with the Hubs and THAT is where I found him when the Prin and I exited the bathroom. I got my robe and herded both kids into the family room. I closed the bedroom door after me. I got a bag of frozen peas, had the Princess lay down on her back, put the peas behind her neck, put her blanket on and settled her onto the one part of the sectional. I then got the Bear cuddled onto me so he would go back to sleep.

Thankfully, both kids were able to fall back to sleep -- as did the Hubs. But me? I just listened to the kids' breathing to make sure they were asleep. I couldn't relax. I couldn't fall back to sleep. The Bear in my arms with his face on me. The Princess just in front of me puffing air in and out of her pouty lips. My kids. They were safe. They were sleeping. And I was there watching them. It felt good. Even at 4am.

No comments: