Monday, September 20, 2004

Book update

My library card is burning!

I've been hitting the library about once every 1 to 2 weeks & picking up between 4 to 6 books. Here's what I just finished:

"The Dim Sum of All Things" by Kim Wong Keltner

This book was strangely funny. It's basically about how a young Chinese girl tries to get through the dating scene while living with her Grandmother. It's interesting to read how this American born Chinese girl (who doesn't speak any dialect from China) struggles to find a balance in her life. I cracked up with the "Chinglish" [Chinese mixed with English] conversations. Those of you born here or were brought up by Asian parents will relate to this book!

"Name Dropping" by Jane Heller

I know that no one has my name, as I've got a hyphenated last name. Even my maiden name is pretty unique. My Dad was the only son born to his little branch of the family tree. But what about you folks with more typical names? James Brown. Robert Smith. Susan Johnson. This book centers around how one woman deals with having the same name as another woman. This other woman happens to move into the first woman's apartment building. This other woman happens to live a glamorous life. How would you deal?

"Dear Stranger, Dearest Friend" by Laney Katz Becker

This book was written in a style much different than I'm used to. But that's what this book is about. It's about the unusual relationship that develops between two women over the internet - or should I say via email. When I first started reading the book I thought I would have a difficult time following it because of the manner in which it was written. But it was easy to follow. I enjoyed this book the most out of the three I've mentioned. It shows how women deal with struggles in their lives. It shows how women feel better just talking things out when they come across an obstacle. It shows that women can support each other even when they don't live near one another.

What books have you read recently? I should be headed back to the library sometime next week, so I'd appreciate any recommendations!

No comments: