Tuesday, November 9, 2004

Scary movie!

My hubs and I watched a scary movie last night. I know HE would never have rented it but I thought it would be an interesting one to watch.

What was it? Dawn of the Dead (with Ving Rhames)

It had an edgey filming technique compared to the smooth streamlined movies we often watch. Kind of like the beginning of Saving Private Ryan. You know? The shakey camera. The quick scene changes. The grain-y texture of the film.

If you didn't know...this movie has zombies in it. DUH! But they're like the zombies of 20 years ago. It seems that there is a new definition for zombie. Fast. Lightening quick. Strong. And...butt ugly!

I think the first movie of recent years that put the new spin on a fast zombie was Resident Evil (with Mila Jojovich). Just this year, they released the sequel to Resident Evil. I'm waiting for it to be released on DVD. The second movie that I saw with the new zombie was 28 Days Later (an English movie).

I do believe both the films (Resident Evil & 28 Days Later) were released the same year, but I'm not sure which one was first. Both focus on a disease that is spread through bites or cuts. So, Dawn of the Dead also follows this scenario. What's interesting is the we never find out what exactly is the source of the outbreak in Dawn of the Dead. At the beginning of the other two movies, we see how the disease is released out into the public.

Can you believe I watch these kind of movies? Yes, I do! But I DO wait until the kiddos are in bed. No need for them to see any of these crazy ass bloody images, eh?

No comments: