Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Que hora es?

There were three in the bed & the little one said "Roll over, roll over"...And they all rolled over and one fell out!

You know that song? Well, one of us didn't FALL out of bed last night. It was more of a bolting out of bed.

And did you read three of us in bed? Yeah! After I get my daughter in bed, I lay down next to her for a little while. I don't touch her. I don't cuddle with her. She is just comforted with someone next to her as she falls asleep.

Last night (for some reason), my husband decides to be helpful. He starts to finish up the washing of pans - that he didn't finish earlier in the evening. Mind you. The kitchen is 10 feet away from the Princess' bedroom. The bedroom with the open door (since she doesn't like it to be closed). So as she's almost falling asleep, we hear the water running. Pans being clanked together. Dishes being clanked together. Oy!

After 10 minutes of trying to pretend I'm asleep, I get up. I whisper to her "It's been 5 minutes. I'll check on you after my shower." [This is usually the excuse I give her if she hasn't yet fallen asleep. She normally falls asleep within a few minutes. Well, with Mr. Helpful banging away in the kitchen she doesn't.

I get out of the shower and see him walking into our room. Then I see her jump into our bed.

We were both tired from last night's "cricket event". Because of this we decided to get to bed early (about 9pm). No hanky-panky was going to happen. We just wanted to sleep. So seeing the Princess get into our bed at 8:45pm was NOT a happy sight. She's a LOUD sleeper. She snores something awful. Not just on the intake of air but also on the exhale. Plus she moves around a bit. I knew that I wouldn't get as fitful a night's sleep with her in bed as I'd hoped.

Since she was in our bed already, we hopped in after her. What's 15 minutes, right?

We lay there in the dark. She's doing her usually chatting to herself business. All's quiet.

Suddenly, there's a loud knock on our front door. "FED-EX!"

I'm already in a haze of almost sleep.

Then 10 seconds later. Another loud knock on our front door. "FED-EX!"

Me: "Hubby, are you going to get that?"

Hubs: "Nope." [seemingly laying there as still as a stone trying to ignore what's happening]

I contemplate his answer. The guy knocked twice. And it's Fed-Ex. DAMN! They require a signature! If I don't get it now then I'll have to pick the package up (with my two kidlings in tow). Or else possibly have another late night delivery attempt.

I haul my dazed body out of bed and open the front door (it's 5 feet from our bedroom door). Thankfully, I wore a big t-shirt and an old pair of huge sweat shorts to bed. I've got my glasses and my still damp hair from my shower. I gaze up to the guy.

Guy: "Oh, were you sleeping?"

Hmmm...what makes you say that? Could it be that the entire house is dark? Could it that I'm squinting my eyes from the harsh reality of our front porch light?

Guy: "I need a signature." [Note: He hasn't lowered his volume]

I sign the little machine.

Guy: "What's the first initial on your first name?"

I answer correctly. But in my head I'm thinking "T" as in "Do you know what TIME it is?"

So be prepared people! If you've got little ones. If you've got family from other parts of the country. If people are planning on sending gifts via Fed-Ex...

Be prepared for deliveries past 9 p.m.!

Merry-ho-ho-ho...Ba-humbug!

No comments: