Friday, January 7, 2005

It started out as a good idea...

Hubs came home last night. Here's our conversation in hushed tones.

Hubs: "X is going to be out of the office tomorrow."

Me: "Okay." [Waiting for some sort of punchline]

Hubs: "Since the boss is out of town, then you want to drop your son off?"

Me: "What?" [Now I'm thoroughly confused]

Hubs: "You know. Drop your son off with me at the office. So you can spend some time at the preschool?"

Me: "Really? Tomorrow?"

Hubs: "Yup. If you want to."

So he and I had a plan. I'd drop off the boy at his office at 8:45am. I'd be at the preschool from 9am to 10am. A short hour. But enough time to see the kids interact. Spend quality time with my daughter. That's the plan, right?

It starts off well. My kids don't even realize I'm driving a different way. My daughter realizes something is up as I'm driving into the driveway to my hubby's office.

Princess: "Mom? What're we doing at Daddy's office?"

Me: "I'm dropping the Bear off."

Prin: "What? Why? He's going to have special time with Daddy?"

Me: "Yeah. So I can spend some time with you at preschool."

Prin: "Oh yes! Yes! Yes!" [practically jumping in her now booster seat]

The Bear is excited to see Daddy. The Princess and I drive up the street to her preschool. We get settled in. We play. I also play with some of the other kids. It was all fine and good. An hour later.

Me: "Prin, I'm going to have to leave after Miss B finishes this story."

Prin: "NO!" [She curls up into my lap & buries her head into my armpit]

Me: "But Prin. You guys are going to have snacktime after the story. Then you'll be going to outside play."

Prin: "I want to stay with you."

There's more back and forth conversation about me leaving.

What ends up happening? I end up taking her home. After only an hour and 15 minutes at preschool. Oy!

It started out as a good idea.....

No comments: