Thursday, January 27, 2005

Occupation = Social Director?

Yes, that's my boy! He and I went to the Jibby Lube near the townhouse yesterday after we'd dropped off the Princess at preschool. There were two cars already in their bays and one truck waiting. I pulled up behind the one car. So there were four cars waiting to get finished. AND it was raining!

The Bear and I went to the waiting room. There were three men in there. Two older guys (G1 & G2) and a young guy (G3), who I'd guess was in his late 20s. The two older guys were sitting watching the tv. The young guy was standing talking on his cell. All was quiet.

I sat. The Bear discovered the soda vending machine. Oh the buttons! He got busy pushing all the buttons.

G1: [chuckle-chuckle] All kids are drawn to that stuff.

Me: Yeah, he loves stuff with buttons and knobs. He has to check it out.

G1: Oh, I was talking about the soda.

Me: Oh no. He's never had that stuff. He only drinks water and milk.

G1: He doesn't drink juice?

Me: No. We gave it to him once and he didn't like it.

This started an entire conversation about kids and their likes and dislikes. Turns out that G1 has a boy and a girl in their 20s & live locally. G2 has FIVE kids and 10 grandkids, who all live in Washington.

As I carried on my conversation with G1 and G2, the Bear came over to me. He noticed that G3 was standing there. You know what he did? He started playing peek-a-boo with him. Of course, G3 couldn't resist the cuteness of my child. He was quickly drawn into the conversation.

At one point, G2 stood up and looked through the windows they've got to the garage bays. The Bear walked over next to him. Put his little arms behind his back. And craned his head as if he was also looking through the window, which was a foot above his head.

So when the Bear gets older, he could become a social director. What do you think? Does your child like being social with total strangers? Does your child enjoy making people smile? What silly antics does your child do to draw people in?

No comments: