Friday, January 28, 2005

Having a selfish moment

I spoke with my folks a couple nights ago. I'm feeling selfish now. Remember that they said they wanted to move out here near us.

Here are my thoughts on the matter:

In my mind, it's a no brainer to move out here. The cost of living is so much less (for example: regular unleaded $1.79 versus $2.18 per gallon). The cost of homes are so much more affordable (ave cost for 3BR/2BA/2GA $210k versus $500k). The pace of the community is a lot slower. There's still open areas of wilderness.

Three years ago after my grandmother died, they said they wanted to make cosmetic improvements to their home. Have they done anything? Nope! They JUST got an estimate on putting new flooring in last weekend. They still haven't repainted the interior. They still haven't done anything to the kitchen. If they'd done the improvements over the last three years, they'd at least be able to enjoy the updates. If they plan on moving out here, then they're not going to be able to enjoy those updates since they'll end up putting the house on the market.

My Mom says it's my Dad who's the hold up. My Dad says it's my Mom that's the hold up. My suggestion to them? Enlist the services of my younger sister. Have HER call the different contractors and make appointments for estimates. She (supposedly) wants the improvements done to my folks house as much as I do (she still lives there). SOMEONE needs to make a decision. A big one. Then once one major thing is changed (say the kitchen), then that'll influence them to get the other major items done. Don't you think?

Finally, don't tell me you're going to move out here if you don't intend to do so. All you're doing is getting my hopes up. I'm relying on your word that you'll be out here. They said they wanted to move out here so they could help out with the kiddos. Umm... I need help with them NOW! Not a couple years from now.

There's no one here I'm close with. There's no one around here I can really talk with. There's no one here that I trust to watch the kiddos. I need a break. A serious one. If I don't get one I fear that I'll lose my mind! Why the hell would I keep asking them what the status is on their house? Why would I keep sending them info about homes that are for sale near us? Aren't those signs that I want them out here? Aren't those cries for help? From the daughter that never asked them for any help before?

(&%(@**!^$&&

Okay, I've vented enough now. Thanks for listening.

No comments: