Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Finally some renovations...

My parents. My parents!

I can't believe it, but they've finally got some renovations scheduled. They're one of those couples who has done NOTHING to change the inside of their home. They've lived in this particular house for about 20 years. Because of them, I can understand families that live decades upon decades without changing carpets, wallpaper, or anything. When we were growing up, my folks concentrated on working to make a living. They saved for their retirement. They didn't care that they had linoleum in the kitchen. It worked. That's all that mattered.

But I'm jumping for joy that they'll have some major changes in store by the end of March. What? They're going to have that darn popcorn (acoustic) ceiling scraped off in all the rooms. The living room. The dining room. The family room. The upstairs hall. The bathrooms. The bedrooms. Once the ceilings are scraped off, the same guy is going to prime the ceiling and get a nice off-white flat paint up there. Then this same guy is going to paint all the walls in the place. EVERY SINGLE ROOM! My Mom has decided on a mocha-taupe paint. I mentioned to her that she might want to use different tones of that particular color in each room. So there would still be a cohesive but varied color within the house. You know? Right now the walls are white in most of the rooms, so going with ANY color will be a huge step.

Once the ceilings and the walls are taken care of, the same guy will be tackling the cabinetry. He's going to clean and sand it all. The kitchen. The hallway linen area. The bathrooms. I didn't ask what color they'd selected, but I'm thinking it'll be a glossy white with brushed nickel handles. It's going to look glorious once that's done. They've had that dingy dark brown look for way too long. The wood is so grainy. Once my parents see that fresh glossy coat on everything, they'll be amazed at how nice it looks.

Then they'll be getting new carpet upstairs. They're putting Pergo down in the living, dining, and family rooms. I don't know what they've decided for the kitchen. I'd really like to see them put cork down. I don't think tile would be a good choice for them. I don't know wht they've decided for the bathrooms either. But any change would be nice.

When I go back and visit in June, the place will look SO different. I'm sure my younger sister will be taking digital photos of it all so I'll be able to see the changes. I can't WAIT for it all to happen. I'm SO excited for them!

No comments: