Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Waving back

Outside our townhouse complex when we drive out to drop my daughter at preschool, we generally see a teenage girl waiting for the bus. A couple months back, my daughter waved to her. The girl waved back. Now, when we drive to the entrance of the complex and see her, we wave. What a nice way to start your day right? Just smiling and waving at a complete stranger. A "regular" stranger to our routine.

Since my daughter started preschool, we've been driving this one particular route to school. We pass by a rural fire station on the way. The Princess (and now the Bear) have been waving to the fire station since we started this route. She thinks it would be a nice way to let them know that we've thinking of them. As we approach the station, the Bear will often say "Fiii!" My response is always "Yes honey. Let's wave to the guys at the fire station."

Like normal, we made our drive up that road. As we drove up, I noted that there were two fire fighters sitting at the front of the fire engine talking. I said "We're almost to the station guys!" The Princess starts waving BIG and smiling. I look to my right (where the station is) and see the one firefighter smiling and waving back. Halleluia!

My daughter was SO tickled that someone finally saw her. She chatted about how it made her happy to have him notice her. I'm hoping that her smiling face made that fire fighter smile. He definitely made her day!

No comments: