Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Sharing

My Princess went over a HUGE hurdle yesterday.

[drumroll please...]

She SHARED during circle time!

Her lead teacher had a huge smile on her face when I came in to pick up my daughter yesterday. I smiled back at her. She told me that my daughter told them all about her new bedroom. How she now has pink sheets. How she has Hello Kitty AND Strawberry Shortcake pillowcases that she sleeps on. How she has Strawberry Shortcake stickers all over her closet doors and her bedroom door. How she has white see-through curtains with flowers and sequins sprinkled all over them.

Ha-ha! She spoke in class! She had the entire class looking at her. Let me tell you that when she first started this class in August, the lead teacher had to stop doing this one activity because she saw how much my daughter cringed when they did it. What was this activity? They'd sit in circle time and everyone would sing about each kid. What the song was doesn't matter. What mattered is that my daughter would visibly shrivel up like she wanted to disappear whenever they'd sing her name.

She's a shy one. Yes, she is. She's exactly like I was when I was her age. I didn't like any attention on me. I hated reading out loud in class. I hated doing show-n-tell. I hated it when everyone would be looking at me. I didn't like it one bit. So I'm not surprised she's the same way. Genetics. It's gotta be genetics.

Anyway, the lead teacher was audibly proud of my daughter's accomplishment. I was proud of her. I let her know that I was proud of her. I told her that she should be proud of herself too. I made sure to tell my hubs so that he could "chat" with her about her day. That way SHE could tell him what she did. Hopefully, she'll continue to share during circle time for the next 6 weeks (what's left in her school year). That way she'll build her confidence.

By the way, the Princess did make it into the private school. We received a letter a couple days after we moved into the new house. The hubs and I have been trying to figure out the "best" way to handle the tuition obligation for it. But, she also made it into the charter school. I just found out this morning. I've got to give the admissions gal a call this afternoon to get more details. I'll spring the news on the hubs this evening. So she'll definitely be in kindergarten this fall. YEAH! She's such a smart cookie. I want her to be in an environment that'll stimulate her. I've got no more knowledge up my sleeve.

No comments: