Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Rentals

There we were (the Princess and I) at the rental car agency. Our flight was 30 minutes late. I had to haul our two duffle bags (no wheels) up a flight of stairs, across a bridge, down a flight of stairs, and across a street. Oh yeah. While holding the Princess' hand to be sure she was safe. I was tired. I was sweaty. I wanted my vehicle. NOW.

I waited patiently in line. We weren't in a hurry. I just wanted to get see my family.

Rental Agent: "Hi. May I help you?"

Me: "Yes. I've got a reservation. It's number DG3252CJ."

Rental Agent: "Let me look it up."

He types the information into the computer.

Rental Agent: "Looks like you've got a mid-size. Right?"

Me: "Yup!"

Rental Agent: "So what're you in town for?"

I look over at the Princess who is sitting on top of a duffle looking around at everything. I wave to her. She waves back.

Me: "We're visiting my folks. It's girls weekend. We left my husband and son at home."

Rental Agent: "Oh fun! You know...for only $9 more you can get a PT Cruiser."

Me: "Naw. That's okay. We just need something to get us around."

Rental Agent: "Alright."

The guy next to me is trying to give his information to the 2nd Rental Agent behind the counter, but he's got someone on his cell who won't shut up.

Customer: "Dude. Dude. I'm at the rental counter. Be quiet. Be quiet. I'm trying to get my car..."

I start giggling to myself. It's too funny. He finally hangs up the phone. But I'm still tickled that he got so flusterred by the call. The Rental Agent notices my giggling and chuckles to himself. He takes a few more minutes on the computer. He gets my paperwork together.

Rental Agent: "Your car is in space number 15. Have a great girls weekend."

Me: "Thanks! You have a good night!"

The Princess waves. I grab our gear. The Princess grabs the end of one of the bags. We head out into the dark parking lot. We trudge. And trudge.

Me: "Where the heck is #15?"

It's at the far END of the parking lot. Go figure.

A Dodge Durango was in space #14. I walked past it and plopped our stuff on the ground. I looked up. And there it was. A PT Cruiser. The Rental Agent had upgraded our vehicle! FOR FREE!

So all weekend we were riding in a bright blue metallic PT Cruiser. It was cute. It was zippy. It was just what we needed for a girls weekend.

No comments: