Sunday, July 31, 2005

Pumping them up

This is what happened yesterday at my daughter's new school.

We got there and happened to enter the kindergarten class the same time as another Mom with her two kids. Her son "J" was going to be in the kindergarten class.

We met the teacher (Mrs. M). We each took a turn and introduced our children to the teacher.

Mrs. M directed the kids to a couple of the tables that had activities on them. She had us two Moms sit down so she could chat with us about the class.

Mrs. M: "Here's a paper that I need you to read and to sign if you agree to the expectations we have of you."

We both read silently. I sign and hand it to Mrs. M. I then hand her some papers that I take from my purse.

Me: "Here's my daughter's last evaluation from her preschool. I thought it would be something you'd want to take a look at if you have a moment."

Mrs. M: "Oh. Thank you. I appreciate you bringing that for me."
She takes the papers and reads through them.

Okay. Some of you might ask WHY I brought the preschool evaluation. The reason? Because it states on there how the Princess is and how she reacts to things. How she retreats into herself when she's overwhelmed by a situation. How she initially does better in small groups. That she is more comfortable with a couple friends instead of a bunch. That she's more comfortable expressing her anxiety to teachers rather than her peers. Things that I don't want to reiterate in front of the Princess but want Mrs. M to be aware of so she understands my daughter.

Mrs. M: "Based upon their birthdays, both your kids will be in the younger kindergarten group. Have either one been in kindergarten before? Or any academic setting?"

J's Mom: "He was at the Learning Academy. They had a phonics program."

Me: "Prin was at X preschool. It was more a socialization type situation versus academic."

J's Mom: "Now what's the difference between the younger and the older kindergarten group?"

Mrs. M: "With the younger kindergarten we start from the very beginning."

J's Mom: "What's the beginning? Alphabet? Numbers? Colors?"

Mrs. M: "Yes. The basic concepts."

J's Mom: "Oh. He knows all that."

Mrs. M: "We start from the beginning. If all the kids know those concepts then we go on. Now if some of the kids need additional help, then they receive individual attention to help them. We don't linger on anything if all the kids already have that knowledge."

J's Mom: "Okay."
Once we were finished, Mrs. M told us we were going over to the art/science class. But first she turned to the kids.

Mrs. M: "Now what do you want to be called? By your full name or a nickname?" [she's bent over looking at J]

J's Mom: "J" [she answered for him and gave his full first name]

Mrs. M: "Is that what you want all the kids to call you?" [again she's looking directly at J]
J nods. Mrs. M then turns to my girl.

Mrs. M: "Now what do you want to be called?"

Princess: "Prin." [the shortened version of her full name]

Anyway, we finish up with Mrs. M and she takes us over to the art/science teacher (Mrs. F). Mrs. M introduces the Princess and J to Mrs. F.

Mrs. M: "Mrs. F. This is J and Prin. Both of them will be in the younger kindergarten class."

Mrs. F: "Well hello J and Prin. I'm Mrs. F. I'll be teaching you in this classroom. See that board up there with all the apples? Can you find your name on one of the apples?"

The two kids walk over to the board, which is posted about 3 feet off the ground.

Princess: "There's my name!"

Mrs. F: "That's right. There you are."

J: "There."

J is pointing to a name that begins with the letter "j" but it's not his name. His Mom walks over to him and helps him find his name.

J: "There it is!" [pointing to the correct apple]

Mrs. F: "Terrific!"

Me: "There are a LOT of names that begin with the letter j." [there were like EIGHT names]

Mrs. F: "It's the most used letter for first names."

Why did the Mom have to help him find his name? He couldn't find his name? Okay. He could have been nervous in a new setting. But she stated that he knew the alphabet, his numbers, and colors. It was like she wanted him in the older kindergarten class or something. I just found her behavior a bit WEIRD is all.

I'm just glad I did the stand back thing and didn't hover over the Princess. I let her answer any questions directed towards her. I let her soak up the school on her own. Hopefully my hands-off approach allowed my girl to feel comfortable and independent in the new school.

Now, did that Mom seem a little too anxious about pumping up her kid's skills to the teachers? Tell me.

No comments: