Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Eat it up!

Last night I made some steamed veggies. You know the typical blend of carrots, green beans, corn, and peas?

What amazed me is that BOTH my kids ate their veggies.

Okay. My kids don't generally eat their vegetables. They only relish in dark green lettuces when we have salad.

Anyway, last night I tried a silly tactic. I picked up a pea and held it between my thumb and pointer finger.

"Bear? Look!"

As he turned to look at me, I showed him the pea. And then I popped it into my mouth.

"Ummm! Yummy!"

He then checked out his plate. Grabbed a pea and popped it into his mouth. The expression on his face was priceless. He wrinkled his brow as he chewed that one pea. Then he did that open mouth mashing like he was trying to savor it. Then he turned to me and smiled.

"Ummm!"

I then did the same tactic with a piece of corn.

"Ummm! Yummy!"

He mirrored my movements. He stopped midway. The Princess turned to him with a piece of corn in her hand. She popped it in.

"See Bear? Yummy!"

He then threw his one piece of corn into his mouth.

After that? It was all about the veggies. He ate a ton of them. The Princess ate the 15 pieces or so that were on her plate (a feat unto itself).

Hopefully the two will continue to relish in the flavor of simple vegetables. [crossing fingers & toes]

No comments: