Tuesday, August 23, 2005

My snacks got busted

The Princess school tries to stress good eating habits. They talk to them about healthy foods. Fruits. Vegetables. Protein.

Good, right?

I pack a couple things plus her sandwich in her lunch bag. She gets to choose which item she wants for her morning and her afternoon snack.

Me: "What did you decide to eat for your morning snack today?"

Princess: "I ate my tortilla chips."

Me: "Then you ate your Teddy Grahams for your afternoon snack?"

Princess: "No. They're still in my lunch bag."

I was very surprised at this because she loves them.

Princess: "Ms. J told me that I should put the Teddy Grahams back in my bag and eat my chips."

Me: "Why honey?"

Princess: "Because we're not allowed to have any chocolate-y stuff at school."

Okay. Okay. I packed chocolate flavored Teddy Grahams into her bag. And she got BUSTED for having them. Dang it all!

Today? I stopped by the grocery store and picked up some HEALTHY snacks. I bought nectarines (which I'll cut up for her) and grapes (which I'll slice in half) and baby carrots. I also bought stuff for blueberry and banana-nut muffins.

I've washed all the fruit and they're ready to eat. The carrots are separated into little snack size bags. I'll throw in a little container of ranch dressing for dipping. The muffins are all baked and cooling off. I'll be putting each into a baggie and freezing them until the night before I need them.

Healthy snacks? Okay! Got the message!

No comments: