Friday, August 19, 2005

Sensitive to sound

When the Princess was a baby, she hated the sound of plastic. You know how you crush up a plastic grocery bag after you've emptied it? You know how the Diaper Genie sounds when you push a dirty one in and twist the top? The Princess would become UNGLUED when she heard that type of sound. I don't recall when the stopped reacting to the sound of crumpling plastic bags.

The vacuum would also make her become a crying maniac. As a baby, I'd have to hold her in my arms as I vacuumed. That was the only thing that would calm her. It wasn't like I pretended to suck her up with the nozzle or anything either. She just did not like the sound. Now the Bear? He was fine with the vacuum for the longest time. I think it was when we moved to this house that he suddenly became nervous around the vacuum cleaner. I now have to hold his hand while I vacuum. Thankfully we've got an upright, so I vacuum with my right hand and hold his hand with my left. I just have to throw the cord over my right shoulder so it stays out of the way.

When gets to the Bear are the sound of a bird pecking on the top of our fireplace. It actually sounds like a woodpecker. And the darn bird peeks on the metal part up there so it's loud!

What sounds are your children sensitive to?

No comments: